My First DE Shave EVER!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SoundMessage, Dec 27, 2012.

1. SoundMessage

SoundMessage Member

Santa was good to me on Christmas. My wife bought me an Edwin Jagger DE89 Barley Chrome, an Edwin Jagger Best Black Badger Brush, a tub of TOBS Lavender Shaving Cream, and a blade sampler pack. I also picked up a sampler from Art of Shaving, which included some of their Lavender pre-shave oil and after shave balm.

So, this morning, I had a go at it. This was my procedure.

- Shower.
    - AOS preshave oil applied to face.
    - Fill sink with hot water.
    - Soaked my lathering mug in the hot water sink whilst it was filling up.
    - Removed bowl from sink.
    - Lathered shaving cream with brush.
    - Hot water face rinse.
    - Apply lather to face with brush.
    - Dip razor in hot water.
    - WTG pass. Frequent dips of razor in hot water to rinse.
    - Hot water rinse.
    - Reapply lather to face with brush.
    - XTG pass. Frequent dips of razor in hot water to rinse.
    - Hot water rinse.
    - Reapply lather to face with brush.
    - ATG pass. Frequent dips of razor in hot water to rinse.
    - Cold water rinse, towel dry.
    - Applied AOS aftershave balm.

Overall, I'd say it was a success. I got a decent looking shave with only one spot of minor irritation, right above my adams apple. I decided to try the Feather blades first, as several people seemed to have success with them here. I can't say whether or not I'm satisfied, as I have nothing else to which to compare them.

Planned corrections to make next time:

- My lather kept thinning out due to the lather mixing with the water on my face. So, with each application of lather, it was thinner and thinner. How do you compensate for this? Add more shaving cream?

- I need to start with more shaving cream. I didn't feel like I had enough to finish all three passes, especially as the lather started really thinning out by the third reapplication.

- I feel like I didn't get as close as I would've liked on my mustache area, as well as the little patch of hair that grows under my lower lip. I'm really paranoid about slicing my lip. Hopefully, this will get better with confidence.

- I'm not sure I like the lavender scent after all. I really thought I would, but it's almost too floral. I didn't expect the floral-"ness" to last as long as it did throughout the day. I did order a plethora of samples from The Shave Den. Now, I'm making an uneducated guess that I might like the lime scents more. Fortunately, the TOBS cream was inexpensive enough that I won't feel too bad if I end up switching to another scent.

- I'm unsure if I should try again tomorrow, or if I should give my skin a chance to rest and maybe just do every other day as I'm starting out.

- How do you all clean your razor and brush after each shave? My previously shiny chrome razor now has a white film all over it.

- Anything wrong with letting my brush dry with the handle down/hair up?

Thanks for everyone's help and advice so far on this forum. I definitely see the start of a new hobby brewing here.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You will learn with practice on the lather. I make mine quite thick for this very reason. Usually by the second or third pass, I want to see what I'm doing, so the thickness isn't as important. The lather is mostly just there to keep the water on your face.

Limes is one of the great scents. Also because it's a citrus scent. It does not last long.

You can clean your razor in any number of ways. The easiest is to wipe it off on a towel. Rinsing it in a solution of rubbing alcohol and then rinsing it in water and drying it will work as well. So will a quick 5-10 minute dip in a diluted barbacide solution. For serious gunk, Scrubbing Bubbles in the aerosol can is a miracle worker and a shaver's best friend.

Brush up or down makes no difference. Just make sure all the soap is rinsed out of the brush, give it a couple shakes a quick wipe on the towel and let it dry.

I would wait a day in between shaves for now. It will take your face at least a month to get used to this new way of shaving. If you use an exfoliating scrub brush, avoid using it anywhere you plan to use a razor. The act of shaving will provide better exfoliation than the pad or loofah ever could.

If you start getting any major irritation, stop doing an ATG pass and see if that solves the problem.

Congratulations on your first real shave, it only gets better from here.

3. KLF

KLF Doctorin

If you feel you don't have enough lather on your last pass, you can try to squeeze out the brush, you'll be amazed how much lather is hidden inside.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

Congrats on a great first DE shave. Sounds like you are off to a great start. If you really don't enjoy a product I'm sure someone else here will trade with you for something else. I just recieved TSD limes and think it smells great. Happy shaving.

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD SoundMessage.....:) Nice Christmas score!!

I'd say your routine is solid, I do basically the same thing except I use Corn Huskers lotion for a preshave(I'm cheap and it works as well as the expensive stuff for me). I also fill the sink with hot water(out of the tap) and soak my lather bowl and brush while I shower..Then use more soap, after all it's cheap, and whip it good, when I first started I also felt I would run out of lather to soon.:confused: Just use more soap!

Nothing wrong with drying your brush, bristles up unless the maker says otherwise. I let my brush(#6 horse) air dry bristles down in a holder after I dry it by hand on a towel and use a hair dryer on it for a minute. I just wipe down my razor(Weber SS/BullDog handle) mostly the cap on the bath towel after my shave. Everytime I change blades(about once a week) I'll give the razor a good "all over" wipedown.

I think you'll fine with everything shaving it's VERY individual(YMMV) and you will change how you do things as you go along. After two years of doing it daily I've found Time,Technique,Practice and Patience are key to a comfortable, close shave....:)

Unfortunately things like soaps,blades(IMPORTANT get a large sampler pack),AS all have to be tried in order to see if they work for YOU. As for how often you shave, again thats dependant on how your face feels bout it. I shave everyday now. As for cutting yourself around the lips that fear will go away with time also. Or you could do like me and grow a moustache and soul patch....:happy088:

6. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

Congrats and welcome to the addiction! Can't give you any more advice than what you already got.

7. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Congrats...sounds like you've hit the ground running....
    Don't worry....it will only get better and better....You're gonna love it!!

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You can either give the Lavender to your significnt other or mix it with another soap/cream you like the scent of.
    What I'd do is get a puck of Shea Moisture's 3 in 1 shower shampoo shave soap from Target, grate it, and mix it into the cream.

JRod22 likes this.
  9. ElliotR

ElliotR Member

Congrats! Practice makes perfect and your choice of razors was a wise one,. the Edwin Jagger DE89 is a great razor for beginners or veterans.
    A few things:
    I rub my brush vigorously against a towel to dry it before it put it up on my rack
    I usually just rinse my razor with hot water and towel dry CAREFULLY so as not to cut myself - i did this SLOPPILY last night and sliced my index finger, ouch.
    I usually CLEAN IT UP with scrubbing bubbles when I change blades - especially my 3-piece razors
    With regard to XTG & ATG passes - If I had it to do all over again I would have just practiced shaving WTG for a few passes for the first month or so until I got my technique down. I realize now that I was going too fast and using too much pressure when I first started...but YMMV!

oh - and maybe keep a journal for which blades work for you - it usually comes down to 2 or 3 brands that really work best for your face & your razor - different blades work differently in different razors! Mild Razor + Aggressive Blade is a good combo, as is an Aggressive razor paired with a mild blade!

ENJOY THIS AMAZING WORLD - it's very cool to look forward to your daily shave!]

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Looks like you are off to a good start, and have been given some good advice. I will add;
    1)Get a blade sampler pack, so you can try different ones and see what you like best.
    2)When you are trying out new things (e.g. blades, soaps, creams, etc.) just change one variable at a time.
    3)If you like pre- shave oil, it is easy & inexpensive to make. See the Tutorial forum here, for more info.

JRod22 likes this.
  11. Suisse

Suisse Active Member

You routine looks good! I am sure your fear will subside with further shaves. :)
    As you have mentioned you may want to give 1 day break between shaves if your have bit sensitive skin or less growth and for the razor I usually towel dry after removing the blade(also pat dried), this brings back the original shine, I have hard water here and it leaves white spots on chrome and dulls most of the shiny things. so its best routine for me.

The Madscraper likes this.
  12. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

I use a glass jar about 2.5" tall filled with blue barbecide. After each shave I place the razor into the glass and let it soak while I clean up and brush my teeth. Afterwards I rinsce and shake dry. This seems to work well and keep my razor shiney.