My first de shaving experience!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Cavere, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Cavere

Cavere Active Member

So to catch up anyone that didn't see my other thread. I discovered a in very good shape Gillette gold ball end tech at an antiques store the other day for a whooping $10! I cleaned it up yesterday with the intent of shaving with it today with some Gillette platinums I purchased.

I have been shaving with a straight for a few weeks successfully now do pre and aftercare I kept the same. I used some AoS pre shave oil (I love that stuff). I decided to try out the C.O. Bigelow I picked up Yesterday. I liked that a lot it has a great tingling/cooling sensation to it but not my favorite cream so far.

Onto the shave itself. Wow... When people say its a mild razor I finally understand what they mean!! I barely felt like it was shaving and had to get used to finding the blade in the lather during my strokes. Before I finished my cheek I had already decided I want to try a more aggressive razor soon. I did a full three passes and got a nice near bbs shave with a couple of rough spots under one jaw. But I would seriously have to try to cut myself with that tech. I got a touch of razor burn above the corner of my mouth I went over a few times.

I didn't know if I should take apart the razor to dry after shaving or just wipe it off. Overall a fairly simple and enjoyable Experience. I don't think it will replace my straight as my main shaver but certainly will be used from time to time or when I travel.

fishcrow likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Always nice to hear the success stories. Glad it well for you. They only get better!

3. Red-Leg

Red-Leg Member

You might want to try a sharper/more aggressive blade. I found myself using a lot of pressure if I had a lesser blade in my Techs and had to upgrade the blade before I got comfortable with it.

4. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

Yes, they are mild, but when loaded with a Feather they work really well for me.
    BTW you are just in time for the upcoming tech week. Lucky you :)

5. Cavere

Cavere Active Member

I had a feeling it was going to be mild coming from straights. I know I've seen some super speeds at other antique stores when I was snooping around for straights so maybe I'll pick one of those up or maybe a fat boy.

Tech week? That sounds interesting I'll have to look into that. I'm going on vacation next week and I think I'll bring the tech along for that.

6. The Soph Gent

The Soph Gent Member

Speaking of SS, my absolute go-to razor is my 1955 SS. Gives me BBS every single time. You can usually get the SS cheap so pick one up next time you see one.

7. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

The Soph Gent, I have several SS's, but have only used the blue tip and silver. If you could consider the English Rocket Flair a superspeed, then that's my favorite. I have other older ones, but am not sure what constitutes a superspeed. Was it just a name Gillette started giving their razors starting in the 50's?

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The term Super Speed was a name given in the mid forties following the Second World War.

We have an excellent thread on this subject by AsylumGuido:

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/asylumguidos-guide-to-super-speed-identification.8461/

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Although Rockets are very close to Super Speeds the blade gaps and weight differences made them a razor all their own.
    Gillette used the Rocket name in the U.K. and Commonwealth countries while the Super Speeds were seen in U.S. markets.

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  10. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I will have to try those 40's SS's sitting in the cabinet, now. I do like the light flairs, though.