My first razor, a few thoughts...

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bostonfan49, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Bostonfan49

Bostonfan49 New Member

I have been wet shaving for about a week plus using a Gillette Fusion Pro Glide....I hope that's not a set of dirty words around this forum.....
    I really have no interest in DE or SE razors, so I don't know if this forum is good for me or some others? I am very interested in pre shave oils/condititioners as well as aftershave face conditioners with Sun Block protection. That's all for now!

Bill

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    @PatrickA51 uses one of those because he has some issues with his hands. Whatever works for you, my friend. I am sure you can get a good shave out of one if you limit your passes and also have a good prep. Welcome to TSD.

AGHisBBS, Herm2502, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  3. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Hello, Bill and :signs046:

AGHisBBS likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

While many* of us have given up the carts and vow never to go back, what holds most true is...

It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

There is a sub-forum for cart users in the Safety Razor forum.

*(Many, not all ;))

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome, and I do believe you may find some kindred souls in this subforum.

AGHisBBS, swarden43 and Robyflexx like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Dat's da one. Thanks Richard!

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

No shame here Bill. Glad to have you working to improve your shave. While I'm at the other far end of the shaving tools spectrum, working on my straight razor skills, you can benefit by using a preshave oil.
    At Walmart I picked up Shave Secret for around $4.00. It's a light oil that has a bay rum sort of scent. I've been using it for about a week. Still trying to decide if it helps. Meanwhile I'm beginning to enjoy the scent.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  8. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

Aaaaaahhhhh, he said Fusion!
    That's really not an issue. This place is for anyone who wants to learn. I'm glad you joined.

AGHisBBS, Robyflexx and RyX like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome and there are quite a few here that use carts. I will admit I never really had a problem with carts. I did benefit greatly from better quality soaps and prep.

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

No dirty words, To each his own.:) I suffered with carts(TracII) for 30+ years before I learned of and adopted "traditional" shaving. I find I get a far superior, irritation free shave on a consistent basis using a DE with a blade that works well with my face and technique.. The great advantage IMO of single blade "traditional" shaving is the wonderful variety of blade and razors you can choose from.
    That said I feel the MOST important thing I've learned is good shave prep! I believe with good prep, lather and shave technique you can get a comfortable, close shave with just about any type of razor.:happy088:

AGHisBBS likes this.
  11. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Welcome Bill. In my experience, the best pre-shave for my whiskers is to wash my face with soap and warm water. I've used a homemade PSO of olive, almond, macadamia and castor oils that seemed to help prep my beard for shaving. I've also used Cornhusker's Lotion and it did a nice job of providing a little slick for that first pass. But I didn't feel that it made enough of a difference to keep using it, so wash and then face lather with shaving soap and I'm good to go.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  12. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

If you're a shaver, you're welcome here. Heck, if you're NOT a shaver your welcome here. It's been said, it's your shave enjoy it however you do it. We talk about all types of razors, brushes, soaps, pre-shaves...almost anything...just because we enjoy it. Some people here are collectors, some rabidly so, while others are just shaving and looking for information. So, enjoy your shave, it's yours and yours alone, and welcome to the Den.

I unfortunately can't help with your preshave question. I used an oil for a while and didn't see the benefit. I normally take a hot shower before shaving, that's it as far as a preshave routine. Others here love preshave oils and conditioners.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  13. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

However you shave is your business dude. If you care to share is also your business. I prefer DEs myself but I think that the biggest benefit you can see right out of the gate will be dropping canned goo. As long as you do that I think that you will reap huge benefits. I don't use preshave oils either though so I can't really comment. I've tried using them but didn't see anything added to my routine so I stopped.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I used a Mach 3 for my first year of wet shaving, using a quality soap and badger brush with it. It made the shaves a lot better. Welcome aboard!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I got many a BBS shave during my cart years. They work. Welcome to TSD, Bill.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I use a Gillette Atra (generic) made by Schick cartridge every other day for my head shaves. I get fantastic results, I really like using the vintage late 70's early 80's style Gillette Atra handle.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    @Sabre is a dedicated cartridge user as well, though I think he leans more towards the vintage two blade cartridge razors.

Robyflexx and AGHisBBS like this.
  18. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

Robyflexx likes this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I just like wet shaves and the people on TSD. You'll see every razor type possible if you browse long enough, carts too!

Welcome to TSD!

20. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

First of all.
    [​IMG]

Second of all. Welcome !! :D