My First Razor... Adjustable or Fixed?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ryevick, Mar 24, 2017.

1. ryevick

ryevick New Member

Hello Everyone, I'm new to the forum and I've decided to take the plunge into the DE world of shaving. I have my eye on a couple of razors but mainly wondering if an adjustable would be a good way to start out. The 2 razors I'm looking at are the Merkur 38 Hd Classic and the Parker Variant. I know there is a pretty good difference in price and I will probably wind up buying them both in the end but which would be a good way to start?

Thanks!

RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Shaving Den. Personally, I think an adjustable, such as a vintage slim, is a great way to start. It is affordable and can be used at a mild setting, such as 3,to start. However, a Merkur 34C fixed razor is mind and also great to use. My preference, however, is the adjustable.

Sent via mobile

RaZorBurn123, Matt0210 and DesertTime like this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

A vintage Gillette Tech (40s-50s) is mild, uncomplicated, efficient and indestructible. $15. No reason to buy a modern Zamak headed Merkur or EJ at twice the price. Schick Krona is a good TTO alternative similarly cheap and superior to Gillette contemporaries IMHO.

Personally I think mastering technique is easier with a fixed head rather than an adjustable.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

4. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

+1

5. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

I second this. The Merkur 34C is a great first razor. It's what I used when I first got into DE shaving. Once you get your technique down and you've got a few dozen shaves under your belt with it you can venture to other razors (which you will inevitably do lol) It's mild but it does the job very nicely. The HD version is a short handle but if you want a longer handle they make that too. I highly recommend it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Fluffyskiador likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

RyX and RetLEO-07 like this.
  7. ryevick

ryevick New Member

The Merkur 38 is from what have seen online, the exact same razor as the 34 just a longer handle and HD just means Heavy Duty. Is that right?

I have seen the 38 listed 2 ways on Amazon and at 2 prices. I'm not sure if there's a difference though. There's the Merkur Model 38 Hd Classic and then there's the Merkur Solingen Double-Edge Razor with Heavy-Duty Long Handle MK38C.

The forum won't allow me to post the links since I'm new but if you search those on Amazon you will see what I mean.

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    RyX likes this.
  9. Matt0210

I'm pretty sure they are the same razor just a different handle. I'm not positive though but maybe someone on here will clarify for us because I don't own a 38. The HD does stand for Heavy Duty though.

ryevick likes this.
  10. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Amazon will have a variety of prices for the same item. I like Amazon, but this is one thing that I find annoying about them. I purchased the HD (yes, heavy) from them and found I liked the short handle.

Sent via mobile

ryevick likes this.
  11. Matt0210

Yeah when searching items on Amazon you will find multiple price points for the same item. Just find the cheapest and go with that. No big deal

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I completely agree. Get a solid fixed head. Learn technique. Pick a razor brush soap and blade. Marry it for awhile.
    The techs are a great way to start DE. Do not forget about SE though. Great shaves there too.

Welcome to the Den.

13. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I will second using a fixed head to start off with. Once you get the gear, head over to the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread. Your technique will definitely improve.
    Enjoy your shaves!

RyX, Bama Samurai and wchnu like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Grab any three piece razor that catches your eye, some Astra SP, and we'll show you how to get easy and comfy shaves. Thanks for joining in!

RyX and Herm2502 like this.
  15. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Yep, a 3-piece is the way to go. I started with an Edwin Jagger DE89 and still love it.

HERM

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  16. LKLive13

LKLive13 Well-Known Member

When I bought my DE I wanted to get something cheap but effective. I bought a Col. Conk for about $20 and it still works great for me. I do want something better but for a starter it works well. The hardest part was finding a blade I was happy with. I recommend buying a variety pack of blades and trying them all!

RyX likes this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to the den!

19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Welcome to The Shave Den!

All of the above is great advise. I'll also recommend going with a fixed head to start off. The Merkur 34 or 38 is a great razor and will serve you well. I will also recommend the Edwin Jagger DE89 as it is also a great razor. Both are efficient and user friendly razors.

RyX and RetLEO-07 like this.
  20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

+1