My first safety razor kit

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by FancyRamen, Aug 11, 2015.

1. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

I'm looking for a nice starter kit to include a razor, bowl and brush. I'm very new to the safety razor world, so take it easy on me and my wallet.

Thanks in advance!

Jayaruh likes this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Now as to a good starter kit (ENTRY LEVEL COST), here are some (not all) products to look at:

Razor:
    New: Edwin Jagger EJ89, Muhle R89, Matador (Razor Blades and More)
    Vintage: Gillette Super Speed, Schick Krona (can be found on e-Bay sites, antique stores)

Brush (3 major groups):
    Badger: Omega #621 or Edwin Jagger - 281K61
    Boar: Omega #10065 Boar, Omega #10049 "Colors" Boar aka The PRO 49
    Synthetic: Kent Infinity Silvertex, Napa Soap Black Fiber (Mühle Knot)
    Mühle K Series from Connaught Shaving (best pricing on Mühle items)

Blades: Blade Sampler (TSD, or the vendors listed below)

Here are some good vendors to look for items at:
    http://www.connaughtshaving.com/
    http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/index.html
    http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/
    http://www.maggardrazors.com/

3. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

First of allWelcome to the board.

There will be a lot of great guys with good
    Ideas. Here are mine.
    Razor DE89 get one with a knurled handle. Not a smooth handle.
    Blade. Buy an assortment from one of the major retailers. Magards etc.
    Soap, buy a puck of sandalwood or barbershop from Stirling soap or strop shoppe.
    Brush. Buy a 22-24mm silver tip badger brush from whipped dog.
    Shaving bowl. Honestly, consider a cereal bowl from the kitchen or better yet a large soup "mug". Save your money here.

Ed to say don't get a kit. It's a compromise and it's better to spend a but more and get good stuff

4. Medicdad417

Medicdad417 Well-Known Member

I started with a van der hagen set and razor total investment about $30 for razor bowl brush and soap (walmart). I then got a sample pack of blades from maggard razors for about $7.

5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Welcome! Maggard Razors is a good place to buy supplies. Their very nice, relatively mild razor is a reasonable price ($20-$30). They also have a good assortment is soaps and creams. Brushes such as many of the Omega or Semogue brushes can be had for under $20. For blades I suggest a sample pack. Finally, take it easy. Shaving with a DE razor requires more technique than a cartridge (Fusion...etc) and require you to use NO pressure. The weight of the razor does the work. Watch Mantic59 videos on YouTube. Good luck and have fun!

6. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

I think I will check out some of the recommendations. So glad to have good support right off the bat.

wristwatchb likes this.
  7. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

I'll have to check out those videos too. That's kinda how I got into wanting to make the switch.

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Good suggestions. Learn to face lather and save your money on bowls. Saves time, and it's good for your skin.

wristwatchb likes this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I go with a Gillette Super Speed, you can still pick a nice one up for $20 or under. Brush check out Whipped Dog good brushes won't break the bank.

Herm2502 likes this.
  10. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Gillette superspeeds are very inexpensive razors and they are really nice too. I spend about $10 on mine. If you want everything else in a kit form then you could try a Van der Hagen set. They don't come with a razor but they have most everything else to start. They have them at my local CVS but not WalMart in my area. I have seen them but I already had a brush and mug so I didn't get one. I'm one of the rare people who started with a straight razor and got into de razors to save time. From the local prices here one could get started for about $35 or so. One blade vender I haven't seen anyone mention is tryablade.com I got the big sampler from them its 1 of each of thier 90+ blades. It cost me less then $40

11. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

I posted my initial kit in your newbie thread. A VDH deluxe kit for bowl and brush. Lord L6 from amazon for razor and blades from tryablade.com. Soap samples from Stirling soap. It has served me well. All in I started for less than $30.

12. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

Is anyone selling a kit that they would recommend? I'd love to cut out some of the guesswork in all of the options out there and try to learn from experience.

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

That's part of the fun, this isn't one size fits all.
    Buy an Edwin Jagger DE89, get a Semogue 1305 brush, pick up a tup of Proraso white. Try HERE

14. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

I didn't go and buy a whole 'kit'. I got a razor, Parker 99R, and some blades. My face doesn't bump up much at all, or is too picky. I have just been using up what shave cream I have on hand, or plain soap. Gasp! It works for me. Some folks use oil to shave, or so I've read here. I might try that soon.

There is also cremes like Creamo. My walmart sells it. Get a razor, and some blades and get started. Then you can start filling in the other pieces. The Maggards house razors look like a good entry level value??? They let you build your own sample packs as well.

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If you are interested in a low cost starter set Shoebox has one under $20 less shipping.

http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/yogestse.html

You get: Lord Long-Handled Tech razor Arko Shave Stick Omega 40033 boar shaving brush Derby Blades (5 pk) Thawas Styptic Match Sticks

The Lord Tech is a clone of the old legendary Gillette Tech. The Omega 40033 shave brush is a true mighty mite & monster latherer. Super performance on a budget. Arko Shave Stick, one of the most popular shave soaps in the world. Performs great & the retro packaging has tremendous Shave Den Appeal. Derby DE Blades. Sharp yet forgiving. I recommend Derby's as the perfect starter blade because they shave close but they're so forgiving that it's really hard to cut yourself with them. THAWAS styptic match sticks. Nice to know you have them for those first few shaves. As skill level increases they won't be necessary except in rare cases :).

You save $7 on the starter set package over the individual prices for these items.

Don't forget to point your new wet-shaver to the videos over at SHARPOLOGIST.COM, they'll save your new shaver from making many rookie mistakes.​

Maggards has a sliding scale starter kit that you can pick and choose items starting at slightly over $33 less shipping.

http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/budget-starter-kit/

So you don't have to break the bank or work as hard on selections.

16. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

I think I might go with the vintage Gillette tech that comes with a set of razors. From what I have read and seen on YouTube, it is a cheap classic. Plus I can get it from a guy in state, so I can get started sooner. Also looking at the RazoRock Mission pack that includes 20 razors for $20.

GDCarrington likes this.
  17. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

Ok. Just found out that my wife is on board with getting me a set for my birthday (Sept 7th). What should I put on her shopping list?

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Shoebox also has a section discussing the ladies or as some will call them SWMBOs!

http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/swmbo.html

I would have you really take a look at what Maggards and Shoebox have to offer because they cater to the traditonal shaver along with Razor Blades and More.

20. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

I will definitely check that out. I'm going to have some researching to do.

GDCarrington likes this.