My first safety razor kit

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by FancyRamen, Aug 11, 2015.

1. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

So I went ahead and bought my first razor on ebay today. I got it for $9.72 shipped. Now I just need some blades a brush, a mug, soap, pre-shave oil, etc.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

Any suggestions on blades?

3. gmaugie007

gmaugie007 Well-Known Member

@GDCarrington and others gave some good tips and links earlier in the thread

the one i'd add to the list is the top 10 sampler from tryablade.com

get two or three of those (more than one just in case you come across a dud), find a blade that works good for you, get some more of that blade, and then follow the 30 day rule ... working on technique

hippiebrian and GDCarrington like this.
  4. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

More to add to the collection[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Brush looks a little worn, but I can get another brush for cheap if it doesn't work out. Figured I would start with boar and go from there. Got the blades and soap for $3 at my local pharmacy. Seems like a good deal to me.

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Those Gillette travel razors are nice, they are basically short handled techs. Some good new is if you like the shave head you can get another razor cheap and just use the handle or just buy a handle by itself, if you find you'd like a bit longer, beefier or better knurled handle, as most 3-piece handles will work with Gillette heads. It's a shame "shave-a-buck" is no longer with us, but there are many other places like Maggards, greistshaving and Weber to name a few.
    You'll need a large blade sample pack. The more different blades you can try the better, inorder to find the best blade/blades for your face and technique.
    The brush you have has a nicely shaped handle and can be reknotted should you choose to do so. As long as the hairs on the knot don't start coming out willn-nilly when you use it, its as good brush to start with as any other. If you'd like a new CHEAP brush check out bestshave.net #6 horse(?) hair brush. I've used mine for many years and at $5 shipped its hard to beat the price.
    I use Arko shave soap, but Van der Hagan Delux can be found locally, is inexpensive, easy to lather and works very well.
    Inexpensive preshave and postshave, theses are the ones I use:
    Preshave: Corn Huskers lotion
    Postshave: Nivea sensitive post shave balm.
    Aftershave: Anything you like. Locally sourced old standbys(Aqua Velva, Mennen, Barbasol, Old Spice, Clubman, etc.) all work as well as any others. It's just a matter of preference.
    FYI your razor was made in the first quarter of 1965
    I hope this helps you out some..:happy088:.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  6. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

I was looking at the year since I signed up for the secret santa and figured it was the 65 and not the 40. I will probably end up replacing the brush altogether if it gives me any problems. I picked that brush up for $3.94 shipped, so I got my razor for $9.20 and the soap and blades for $3. Got my whole package for $16.14. I think that's a heck of a deal for a starter kit. Maybe we should start a cheapo but goodo challenge. Obviously I could have gone with one of those $2 chinese razors, but that wouldn't be much of a challenge.

hippiebrian and 178-bplatoon like this.
  7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I'd say you made a fair bargain. Some of those cheap Chinese razors aren't bad, but none of them in my experience are as good as a vintage Gillette.:)
    3 piece Gillette's made before 1950 won't have a date code.

hippiebrian likes this.
  8. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    You might try WalMart for Palmer's oil as a pre-shave oil. I ignored all the guys using oil, htinking "c'mon... really?" Then I tried it. PSO makes a difference.

I started with Shave Secret (also from Walmart). It is quite good. Then I ran out of Shave Secret and tried the Palmer's. I accidentally poured a nickel-sized puddle into my hand rather than the 5-7 drops of Shave Secret. I thought "oh, great!" but rubbed it on anyway. Loved it. Still use it and apply it liberally before lathering.

For your next razor and a really economical birthday present, I heartily recommend the Maggard M6 with the standard head. Mine shaves as well as my EJ-DE89, cost less, and the handle is long and hefty without being fat. It will be quite the contrast to that nifty litte travel Tech you snagged! Then you can go crazy and swap the handles on both heads and compare the shaves.

But that's the road ahead. For now, just concentrate on the basics. You'll learn quickly and love the results. Good luck!

9. jassch82

jassch82 Active Member

Italianbarber.com and maggardrazors.com have nice kits that include razor, brush, soap and aftershave. Maggardrazor you can pick from different razors and brushes. I personally am leaning toward the maggardrazors kit($40). And like what was said above. I'm prolly just going to use a bowl from around the house.

10. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

+1 on Maggards stuff, I am a huge fan of the EJ DE89 for a starter razor, they are quite forgiving but still provide a great smooth learning experience and shave. I would recommend making sure you get one with some texture on the handle and not the standard smooth handle. Maggards also has a "clearance" section were you can get a great handle like the MR6 ($11) and a "scratch & Dent" MR razor head V2 ($3.95) for like less than $15. I have two or three of their handles and really like them.
    http://www.maggardrazors.com/product-category/clearance/
    They also have a nice selection of blades for really great prices, check out the Rapira Swedish Supersteal for a $1. probably the only blade you will ever need, you could do a lot worse for a starting place anyway.
    http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/rapira-swedish-supersteel-double-edge-razor-blades-5-blades/

also for Brushes +1 on Whipped Dog. wow nice stuff for the money. But if it looks to steep for your fist brush a lot of people including me love their Omega S, Synthetic brushes like $8 and they will whip lather and will be your traveler brush later when you have a nice Badger.

Stirling Soap has very great products also, their brush is very, very sweet.
    http://www.stirlingsoap.com/shave-soap/

11. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Welcome...every face is different everybody's preferences are different so youll have to experiment to see what you like and what works for you.....my first razor was a merkur 180 long handle and i think its a great one for a new shaver, and its still one of my favs...also van de hagen sells a reasonable starter kit that you can pick up at rite aid, cvs, walgreens, walmart target...it has a brush bowl and soap...they arent the greatest (i still use the gear) but solid enough to see if youll enjoy the hobby

12. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

A starter kit needs to take into consideration , How heavy or light your beard is. How sensitive is your skin.
    Good all around razors are: Vintage: Any Gillette Adjustables depending on what size handle you would like, or Modern: Merkur Progress Adjustable comes in Long or Short Handle. Adjustable razors able you to adjust the Aggressiveness of the razor. My personal favorite is the Weber PH Classic
    Blades: Definitely get a Sample Pack of Blades.
    Brushes: Boar is a good and inexpensive start, Omega or Semogue make good ones.
    Soap: Van Der Hagan (local drug store) or Col Conk are good inexpensive soaps, giving great lather.
    Bowl/Mug: Walmart, Salsa Bowl $1
    We can only suggest what products we've tried and what works great for us. So what razor, soap, blade etc. may work for one face but not for another. And keep it simple.