My First Shave with an Open Comb

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by londonshaver, Nov 1, 2017.

1. londonshaver

londonshaver Member

Just as the title says, first time using an open comb DE razor. Felt very different to the closed comb's i've been using. I don't think i could use an open comb daily though obviously YMMV. Anyone use an open comb daily?

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Answered on "the other" forum; yes, I have a Fatip OC in my daily rotation. I could use it as my only razor, but that would get boring ;)

I rotate on a (bi) weekly basis, and I am currently in a Fatip Wood period. Yesterday and today with a 7 o'clock yellow blade.

sdguero, Primotenore and RyX like this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The open comb does not make a razor any more or less aggressive. It is just a different face feel than a safety bar razor.

With time, you will dial in your technique and it really won't matter which razor you use. You will get great shaves from all

I remember the apprehension I had with my first OC shave. It will just take some time.

4. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Is a Rolls Razor an open comb?

Billyfergie and Linuxguile like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.
    In a blind shave test, I couldn't tell you if I had an open comb or a closed comb on my face.

sdguero, PanChango and Billyfergie like this.
  6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

No, A Rolls is an open blade. Think straight razor on a handle. Technicality I guess it would be a safety bar, though the function of the safety bar is not meant to keep you safe (during the shave) I think it is mean to prevent damage to the edge. As @Billyfergie describes it as a razor kickstand.

sdguero, Billyfergie and Primotenore like this.
  7. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Yep, it's just a different style of safety guard. You can have mild, or aggressive, or anything in-between, with an open or closed comb guard.

sdguero, PanChango and Billyfergie like this.
  8. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Aye..The Safety Bar in a Rolls Razor Serves Mainly to Protect the Blade when Stropping it when it Gets Flipped Over..Whilst it Does Undoubtable Serve as a Safety Bar Whilst Shaving its a Secondary Issue...For Me..The Shave with a Rolls WITHOUT the Safety Bar Offers a Far Closer Shave..In Other Words the Safety Bar for Shaving is a Pain in the Butt..Its Not Required..:D

Billy..:chores016:

sdguero and Linuxguile like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    OC razors are great shavers. Technique is key though. I just spent a month using my 15 OC razors. It was a blast. I just have too many razors to settle in on one. No fun in shaving with just one razor.

sdguero and Billyfergie like this.