My first straight shave - noob question

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by DelBoy, Dec 26, 2013.

1. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

I just tried my first SR shave with a razor set my kids bought me at straightrazors.com. I have their Star Customs Buffalo Horn "shave ready" razor.

I did my usual DE shave set-up: hot, moist towel, pre-shave oil, Porasso lather. The SR really felt like it was tugging and not cutting well. I tried different angles and it still felt like it was really pulling before cutting. I was expecting more glide. My DE, with a new blade, is much smoother.

Do I need to have this SR honed? Is the tugging normal and I just have to get used to it? What should I expect from a good, honed, SR? What is the perfect "feel?"

I realize that I'm on a learning curve and I don't want to rush it and hack my face up.

Thanks!

Del

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I've looked on their site before and they sell Pakistani blades if I'm not mistaken and what they're charging for a genuine brand new buffalo horn razor leads me to believe that it'll never take a good edge and/or keep that edge in usable condition.

Also when beginning, straight razors always feel dull and seem to want to pull, that is normal and is a technique issue that will go away as you get comfortable with manipulating the razor around your face.

3. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

Thanks for the reply!

Maybe I need to plunk down the dosh on a quality razor and go from there. After reading your reply and other threads, I'm now dubious about the razor...

Del

Williams Warrior likes this.
  4. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

Awhile back I ordered my first SR exactly like yours from another website that promises shave ready razors. It was dull. I complained and they sent me a shipping label so back it went. I received said razor back today in the mail. It appears to be honed better than it was but I haven't shaved with it yet. I have a couple vintage SR's I have been shaving with since I first received the buffalo horn razor so I now know what a true "shave ready" razor feels like. I will let you know what I think of the hone job after I shave with it. My next SR purchase will probably be a Dovo from Straight Razor Designs (when they replenish their stock that is).

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm a relative newb to the world of straight shaving, so with all the experienced Shavers onboard here, I shall withhold offering advice other than state what I have learned based upon my own limited exposure.
    My first few attempts at SR shaving were a bit 'tuggy'. A good part of this I attributed to my technique, or lack thereof. I came to realize the importance of 'skin stretching' (thanks, Bruce!) to ensure a more conducive surface for getting a smooth shave. A taut skin surface shaves easier than a flabby skin surface. The second reason for the 'tugs' was the blade edge. The razor benefited from a good stropping. I tried to shave 'right out of the box' as the blade edge felt keen to my inexperienced thumb. Post-stropping and with some good skin stretching, the followup shaves were much, much better with very little of the tugging present in my initial shaves.
    Good luck!

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

If you need/want to start out as economical as possible, you need to check out Whipeddog for his starter kit or just the razor.

7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

It's a good idea to know your straight is sharp. You'll encounter enough problems with technique without having to worry about that. With a sharp razor I would say tugging is a technique problem, probably to high of blade angle. It will take some time to figure out what's going on. Enjoy the journey. You should expect a good (excellent) shave from a well sharpened straight. I would say the perfect feel is a somewhat elusive, it's what we're chasing but it happens frequently enough that we (I) wonder why we (I) can't get it every shave. Good luck.