My first week of wet shaving...

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by kc1ble, Feb 29, 2016.

1. kc1ble

kc1ble Well-Known Member

I just finished shaving and discovered that after my first week of wet shaving, I've got a lot more confidence with my razor, no more weepers and I really enjoy my shaving time now.

My shave was with my Gillette slim, Astra SS blade (8th shave), Colonel Conk Almond soap and Nivea After shave balm. I've been wondering how long that blade is gonna last as I have a couple of others I would like to try but it's still going strong. It was also my first shave with the Colonel Conk Almond which seemed to work ok, but the lather didn't feel as rich as the Arko I have been using up until now.

Just wanted to say I'm glad I found this forum and was able to learn so much here. Still lots to learn and lots of entertainment as well. Thanks to everyone.

2. jmaier

jmaier Well-Known Member

Welcome, and congrats on a successful first week! It only gets better from here as you fine-tune your technique and list of favorite products.

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Great news. Congratulations on your first successful week. The journey begins...

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

6. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I'm very glad you're enjoying your shaves and trying different soaps and blades. Variety is one of the things that make this hobby so much fun. :)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    AGHisBBS, BigCabDaddy and kc1ble like this.
  7. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

Congrats my friend!

U seem to b doing great!

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Congrats on your first week and building confidence! A little suggestion with the glycerin based soap. When you get to the point where you think that lather is good work in just a little more water. My VDH is the same way, a little more water and the lather feels and protects so much better!

Spyder, AGHisBBS, kc1ble and 4 others like this.
  9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Great! Now the fun starts!

10. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

And his wallet loses some weight....

AGHisBBS, kc1ble, ob1page and 3 others like this.
  11. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

Congratulations, if you don't have very coarse and thick stubble you can get quite a few shaves on the blade.

AGHisBBS, kc1ble and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

You started with a great razor! Love my Slim

AGHisBBS, Robyflexx and kc1ble like this.
  13. kc1ble

kc1ble Well-Known Member

I think you are right, I've been scouring auction sites for the right deals on vintage razors as I will definitely be starting a collection. I've also got my eye on the G12 Scuttle. So many different soaps and aftershaves I want to try and of course, I'm fond of most vintage shaving gear and I have my eye on doing some brush restorations...my wife hates it when I do this...

14. kc1ble

kc1ble Well-Known Member

Though I haven't used any other DE razors yet, I too love my slim, it does a great job and I get no irritation from it.

Spyder, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  15. kc1ble

kc1ble Well-Known Member

Thanks for this, I'll give it a try tonight.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  16. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Great going! :eatdrink047:

Some soaps just need some practicing with. ;) You're getting there!

kc1ble, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  17. aelfred.t.allspa

aelfred.t.allspa Well-Known Member

+1 on adding water. I'm still dialing in my lathering technique

18. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

:signs011:

kc1ble and Robyflexx like this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Congrats on a good week one!

Robyflexx, kc1ble and AGHisBBS like this.
  20. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Congratulations on a new beginning in shaving. As far as soaps go, Col. Conk is not too bad of a soap but I've found that Van Der Hagan soap ( used it for many years) and Cella soap in the kilo size are great for the economy minded. The Cella is about $37 for the kilo lasting about 2 years, VDH about $5. Both giving great lather.
    Enjoy your shaves. Denis