My Gillette Tech T1 is more aggressive than my Merkur 23C?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Mike Williams, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Mike Williams

Mike Williams New Member

I'm new at this, and this surprises me. I thought it would be just the opposite.
    I'm using Gillette 7:00 o'clock Super Stainless blades.
    Does this sound right to you guys?
    Thank you.

2. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I've never quite understood how aggressiveness is measured. I can understand efficiency, and effectiveness but have no idea what aggressive means.

I find my Gillette Techs are as efficient as my Merkur 23C. By that I mean I can get the same quality shave with the same effort with either razor.

3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Aggressiveness, being a function primarily of blade gap and exposure, is experienced as a razor that can easily bite when proper angle and/or pressure is not maintained. A very mild razor simply won't cut (or won't cut effectively) at an angle where an aggressive razor will bite, and its positive exposure, if any, is limited so that a little extra pressure won't hurt you. A mild razor can be very efficient but only when proper angle is maintained.

I know nothing about the 23C but the Tech is certainly a mild but efficient razor.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Terry Williams likes this.
  4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It is amazing what happens when you stop listening to what others say and test things out for yourself.

I avoided the tech for years as it was said to be too mild etc, but when I picked one up and used it for a while I got great shaves with it.

Practice your technique and you will get good shaves from anything you choose to use.

5. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Tech is often compared with DE89.

For some reason most seem to think DE89 is mild (I disagree, it is moderate I think). If you think DE89 is mild, then what do you call the slightly milder post war Tech? The logical consequence is that most call it very mild. Then for some reason pre-war Tech, Canadian, Brittish and other kind of Techs all get grouped into the same category.

This is the problem. Tech comes in different levels of aggressiveness and not all Techs are giving the same shave experience.

Personally, I find even the mild post-war Tech to be very efficient. All you need to do is to find the right angle and the shave will be close.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  6. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I had a similar experience with the Krona. I love it now.

PanChango likes this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That's the definition of a mild razor. Like I said above, the blade gap and exposure on an aggressive razor allows both for a close shave at alternative angles as well as bloodletting when one makes mistakes.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    BigMark83 likes this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Techs are generalized as being mild. That said I've had some from various years that refused to be stereotyped.

9. rreynoso72

rreynoso72 New Member

I measure aggressiveness based on my two problem areas, one is a mole, if I have to use very light touch to avoid a cut there, the razor is aggressive. Other is a beard whorl that needs buffing in multiple directions. If I get irritation or weepers I consider that razor aggressive. So by that measure my Tech Fat Handle is a mild razor, but one of the most efficient razor that I have tried. Maybe we have to start using the term Gentle, like Fatip does with their razors.

Enviado desde mi 5010G mediante Tapatalk

10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

This should be a must read for everyone.

PanChango and rreynoso72 like this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I had a mole, and I had it removed. On my neck near the Adams Apple, I was so tired of worrying about it.. That was back in 1981, the best $126 I've spent on myself.

PanChango and rreynoso72 like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've only have one Tech (from Argentina) that shaved like a Red Tip on steroids and having PMS. Lets just say an extremely close shave. No blood, but it found a new home. :ashamed001:

13. rreynoso72

rreynoso72 New Member

Thanks for the advice.

Enviado desde mi 5010G mediante Tapatalk

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep. I lucked out and came by a Canadian Tech that is one of my keepers. It surprised me because it actually lives up to its reputation.

Enrico and PanChango like this.
  15. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

My guess is that you are using the Tech in such a way that it gives you a "more aggressive" feel than the Merkur.

In shaving, descriptions like aggressive, mild, efficient, etc. are somewhat subjective (i.e. based upon the experience AND TECHNIQUE of the person doing the describing). A "mild shaver" is most likely a more forgiving razor, based on many people's collective experience with it, but may require better technique and or more time and effort to achieve a close BBS result. An "aggressive shaver" likely has more blade exposure - which allows the user to exert more control over the blade contact with the skin. But this same characteristic allows it to cut the user who needs attention to technique.

Used incorrectly, you can likely cut yourself with most any razor - even the highly protected multi-blade cartridge razors.

PanChango said it first.
    Technique / skill is the answer. Each new shave system requires learning to accomplish the ideal shave.

jar and PanChango like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011: