My H. Boker & Co. 5/8 straight

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Jayaruh, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I was given this very nice razor by my old friend, Mort, on February 6. I stropped the snot out of it and did the first pass with it on February 7. I contacted Col. Kevin AKA @HolyRollah and he agreed to do a cleaning and honing job on it. I sent it off and it arrived at his address on February 10. So, he has it now. I wanted to start this thread to document its progress. If/when I get pictures from Col. Kevin, I will post them here. I am looking forward to getting it back and shaving with it.

IMG_2706s.JPG

The razor was made circa 1925-38. It says Extra Hollow Ground on the blade.

IMG_2706s.JPG IMG_2707s.JPG IMG_2708s.jpg IMG_2709s.jpg IMG_2710s.jpg IMG_2711s.jpg IMG_2714s.jpg IMG_2716s.jpg IMG_2717s.jpg

Paul76, JBSharp, dustmite and 9 others like this.
  2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Way cool razor, Jim. We looking forward to watching the restore.

Billyfergie, Jayaruh and Karl G like this.
  3. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be Col. Bacon?

4. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    That would be the formal handle.

Billyfergie, 45auto and Karl G like this.
  5. Rugger007

Rugger007 Active Member

If it shaves anything like my vintage king cutter your in for a real treat. That shave sooooo well.

Karl G, Billyfergie and Jayaruh like this.
  6. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Beautiful razor, congrats! It's been really fun watching your spiral down the straight razor rabbit hole!

twhite, Spyder, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    sod170207.JPG

Dove Men Face Wash
    Old Spice Lime
    Jayaruh #30 silvertip
    H. Boker & Co. 5/8 (first shave)
    Gillette Fatboy F2
    Wilkinson Sword Super Sword Stainless
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    T.N. Dickinson's WH
    Aqua Velva Musk AS

The Old Spice Lime Shave Cream face-lathered well with my Jayaruh #30 silvertip badger brush. I stropped and stropped the H. Boker 5/8 and did a complete pass with no issues. It could use some time on the stones I think, but at least I did not cut myself. I did the second pass and cleanup with the Gillette Fatboy and Wilkinson Sword Super Sword blade, I ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse and alum block, I finished off with T.N. Dickinson's WH and then Aqua Velva Musk AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    sod170225.JPG

Dove Men Face Wash
    TABAC
    Jayaruh #128
    H. Böker 5/8 straight
    Gillette Fatboy
    Wilkinson Sword Super Sword Stainless
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    T.N. Dickinson's WH
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS

This is my second shave with the Böker. The TABAC Shave Soap face-lathered well with my Jayaruh #128 brush. I did one pass and clean up with my newly restored H. Böker 5/8 straight, I didn't even need the Gillette Fatboy and Wilkinson Sword Super Sword blade. I ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse and alum block, I finished off with T.N. Dickinson's WH and then Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    AGHisBBS and Billyfergie like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    sod170304.JPG

TABAC
    Dove Men Face Wash
    C.O. Bigelow Shave Cream
    Jayaruh #144
    Gold Dollar str8
    H. Böker 5/8
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Pinaud Vegetal AS

This is my third shave with the Böker. The TABAC Shave Soap face-lathered well with my Jayaruh #144 finest badger brush. I did two passes: the first with my new Gold Dollar razor, and the second with the H. Böker 5/8 and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse and alum block, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Pinaud Vegetal AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    sod170311.jpg

Dove Men Face Wash
    Col. Conk Amber Shave Soap
    Jayaruh #144
    H. Böker 5/8
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    T.N. Dickinson's WH
    Pinaud Vegetal AS

This was my fourth shave with the H. Böker 5/8. The Col. Conk Amber Shave Soap face-lathered well with my Jayaruh #144 finest badger brush. I did two passes the H. Böker 5/8, I ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse and alum block, I finished off with T.N. Dickinson's WH and then Pinaud Vegetal AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  11. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Lord Bacon.

Karl G likes this.
  12. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful Boker. I have a Genco Seneca Chief with the same scales.

[​IMG]

13. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Saturday's March SE Maddness
    [​IMG]

Dove Men Face Wash
    Old Spice Lime
    Jayaruh #145
    H. Böker 5/8
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Pinaud Clubman AS

This is my fifth shave with the Böker, and I am getting better. The Old Spice Lime Cream face-lathered well with my Jayaruh #145 synthetic brush. I did two passes the H. Böker 5/8, I ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse and alum block, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Pinaud Clubman AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Jim. How are you liking the DarkSide? I know you are doing Saturdays only right now. Any plans on expanding?

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I am enjoying my Saturday shaves. I am using both hands, and I am getting pretty good at not bleeding. I may go to weekend shaves, but I have no plans for abandoning my pretties. I have around 60 SE, DE, and injectors begging for attention, so right now the Böker is being used 1/7 of the time. Technically, it is getting more attention than each of my other razors.

16. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

I can't wait until I get some beautiful handles and SR's in my collection. These all look amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Glad to see you're enjoying the ride, Jim! :happy088: And thanks for the addition to my signature line! :D

Billyfergie, dustmite, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Even some well loved razors, in my collection, are very nice to have. I enjoy the worn looking razors more than my pristine ones. Kind of like having a "rescue puppy". I really like cleaning them up, honing them, and giving them a second chance at their destiny in "razor life".

Billyfergie, Karl G, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  19. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Love to quotes. I am glad to be a contributor.

Billyfergie, Karl G and HolyRollah like this.
  20. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I forgot to post this last week. It was my sixth shave with my new straight.
    sod170325.jpg

Billyfergie, dustmite, Jim99 and 4 others like this.