My homemade Bay Rum Aftershave

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by Speed, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Speed

Speed Member

I love my bay rum AS,but I added Lime essential oil to the mix,and I think I love it more.

2. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

3. Speed

Speed Member

I tweak it to what I feel more or less as far as the Bay,or cloves or lime EO

1 cup rum
    1 cup witch hazel
    1/4 cup moonshine
    tblsp glycerine
    teaspoon cloves
    tblsp whole allspice
    3 cinnamon sticks
    zest of a whole orange
    Aura Cacia Bay Essential Oil
    Lime EO
    I shake it once or twice a day,for two weeks ,then strain through a coffee filter and bottle it.

4. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Awesome, I'm on it.
    Thanks

Omelmad likes this.
  5. Speed

Speed Member

I ended up putting more rum in than a cup,then added more moonshine ,then more witch hazel and ended up with 32 oz. in a mason jar because of all the spices,It got dark after two weeks,but I love it.So does my wife.
    I also in a little bottle put half witch hazel,half moonshine,a little glycerine added sandalwood and Lavender EO.She liked that more,but I like the bay rum better.
    Good luck,its a lot of fun and smells great

Cool Breeze likes this.
  6. Speed

Speed Member

Let me know how you make out with your bay rum.You will save money in the long run because a bottle of like say Royall is $30+.I yield 32 ounces every time I make it and give out to friends.They love it.The Bay essential oil goes a long way.Week to your desire,I put more allspice and clove second time I made it.You can use any cheap dark rum OR Captain Morgans.Plus its fun to make and kind of rewarding,if that makes any sense.

7. theunnamed

theunnamed Well-Known Member

Do you know any alternative to Witch Hazel ?

8. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

How much of the essential oils do you use?