My Journey Begins... Sorta

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by dustmite, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Jim, believe me when I say; "if I can do it anybody can do it". Seriously...

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Jim, my loaner set is on its way back to me now. 100% serious offer, I will loan you two razors and a strop, so you can try it out to see if you like it. Anyone who can make brushes like you do can train those hands to pilot a straight. I have no doubt getting good shaves with a straight is within your skill set. Maintenance is way easier than you are thinking. Please let me know if you are interested.

Jim99, Karl G, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

5. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

My strop was waiting for me when I got home from work today. As I couldn't let a new toy go un-played with, I grabbed my handy dandy Swiss army knife and proceeded to strop the heck out of it! I should have a pretty good handle on the stropping by the time I get a razor next month.

Karl G, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Unless that blade locks in place, I might rethink stropping a pocket knife. It could flip shut and bite you.

7. dustmite

Didn't have any issues, but I think I'll find something else to practice with. I didn't even think about it closing up on me...

8. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Try a butter knife, feels more like a razor to build that muscle memory, but less likely to nick your strop.

Karl G, Spyder, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  9. dustmite

Our butter knives have a serrated edge, I didn't think that would be good for the strop. I'll find something.

Karl G, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  10. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Yeah right! Says the man who makes the amazing shave brush handle......

Drygulch, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  11. dustmite

Waterville1.jpg

Do I get my cookies now or when it gets here? :D

Pilotcld, Karl G, Drygulch and 3 others like this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

No cookies till you draw blood :p

13. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Very nice, I have a similar Waterville which I'm working on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. dustmite

e4120930360901fa4e367faa8af9d85d1.jpg

Tracking shows it's at the post office. Hoping it gets here today!

ninjack, Pilotcld, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  15. dustmite

The mailman came, and I officially own a straight razor now! I have dinner in the oven on auto-pilot, kids are content watching a movie. I'm going to take it for a test drive! If things go well, I'll update here shortly. Otherwise, it was wonderful getting to know you all... :eek:

Pilotcld, DaltonGang, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  16. Crowne & Crane

Crowne & Crane Well-Known Member

Congratulations. That looks like a fine razor.

dustmite and Spyder like this.
  17. dustmite

Well, I survived the first shave! I did nick myself on the very first stroke, but it was minor, and closed up before I lathered for my second pass. I used the straight for a WTG pass on both cheeks, and the sides of my upper neck. It was a bit daunting after spilling blood, but I learned my first lesson: a straight will punish the timid! I paused, and then I bled. After that, I just went with it, and could have stopped after the WTG pass with a good, passable shave. Looking forward to round 2!

18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Awesome! Blood is a good teacher indeed:). All in all, your first str8 shave is a success, congrats :happy096:

Billyfergie and dustmite like this.
  19. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

:happy096:

Spyder, dustmite and Billyfergie like this.
  20. dustmite

I'm a little disappointed, I've been super busy since my first straight shave, and haven't been able to play with my new toy...