My Journey to the dark side

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Vlasta, Feb 16, 2017.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Is it drying out or fading away? Dry means add more water, fading/disappearing means add more soap.

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Double yup.
    Also, different soaps sometime require different lathers.

Karl G, Spyder, twhite and 1 other person like this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Great first shave! We're really glad that it went as well as it did! You're now an official member of the dark side:)
    I concur with what the gentlemen (and @DaltonGang :p ) said above:) The straight (IMHO) is less forgiving of lather quality than a safety razor. I need to keep it slick by using more water than I previously had been using. I need my lather "slicker than a snotty doorknob"

4. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    The soap thing is solved thanks. I add way more water than I used to and it works great. Now onto my shaving adventure and what I have learned...

First thing is I am so glad to finally shave in this way and I should have done it years and years ago. I am on the dark side to stay. I have started to look forwards to shaving and I am now trying to shave every 2nd day whereas in the past I would put it off for days and days and end up looking like a complete scruff. My beard is not so thick so 2 days is about right to get enough whiskers to make a shave worthwhile. Now onto lessons learned..

1. Watch lots of videos on how it is done. Read lots of information. BEFORE you start. This forum has a few videos embedded and Youtube IS your friend.. I recommend geofatboy's videos
    2. Take your time - enjoy it. Waving around a surgically sharp blade in the bathroom is NOT for the times you are in a hurry.
    3. Soap dilution matters - see above
    4. Shave prep matters - I have a new routine. I wet my beard, rub a dab of shave cream into it and then hot towel while I am waiting for my shave brush to soak. I find this softens the whiskers very nicely and hydrates too.
    5. For newbies like me - TAKE NOTE - it is very very important to stretch your skin in order to get a good result.
    6. Don't get too caught up on which hand you use for which side of the face. I use both hands but it is not a hard and fast rule of left for left and right for right. Getting the razor positioned is far more important. Being able to both position the razor and also stretch the skin properly means, to me at least, that I use a combination of hands/sides that may seem unorthodox but hey it is MSMY!! as they say (My Shave My Way)
    7. Don't get caught on the trap of thinking that pressing the razor to your face will mean a closer shave - it only means you cut yourself and yes.... I lost my cut virginity already... A closer shave takes only a sharp razor, good soap and a good technique
    8. Don't think you are going to get BBS straight away. Even now coming up fast to 10 shaves in I am not fully BBS all over but I know it will come with time and patience. I am not going to make the mistake of shaving again and again to try and get it... on my second shave I did 5 passes and boy oh boy when I alum blocked did I suffer. I must have taken off way too many layers of skin and was sore for a day or more after. The mantra is be patient and gentle. No matter what you do the shave will be more satisfying and closer than with your cart.
    Anyway Guys and Gals - now I am hooked. Officially bad-ass and on the dark side. I am now going to find out how to hone (I bought a coticule and a second hand straight to try...). Once I have mastered my straight I am going to break out my Feather shavette and maybe also buy a DE.

I was thinking - how about a thread called "Video Shave Clinic" where we can post our shave videos and get some critique on what we are doing right/wrong? - I picture is worth a thousand words right?....

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Excellent post! Everything you stated is "spot on"! Post's like this is sure to help those getting into straight shaving.

6. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Well I tried my Feather shavette with PG-15 blades for the last two shaves. Also wonderful and surprisingly easy. I am thinking of going the full Kamisori route now!!

Billyfergie, Karl G, twhite and 2 others like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:happy096: I remember my first shave my hands were shaking so much, you had a great first shave. Congratulations

Billyfergie, Spyder, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  8. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    As I say I have used my Feather SS now - it is a tiny razor in the hand but I am loving it. Smooth as butter in the stroke. Is this what a Kamisori is like?

Keithmax, Karl G and Spyder like this.
  9. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Yes this solved it thanks.

Karl G and Spyder like this.
  10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I've tried using both hands for straight shaving but after a few months of practice, I couldn't get it. But I get along with my dominant hand and it's worked out well for me. You'll develop your own technique and preference. The key is to be relaxed and enjoy.

11. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Yup - Your Shave. Your Way. Enjoyment is the key.

12. brit

brit in a box

i de shave and i use both hands or one hand.using both can be beneficial in many areas....

13. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    TODAY - BBS for the first time. I used my Dovo after a 50 pass strop. A wonderful, wonderful shave and quick at 15 minutes top to tail. TOBS sandalwood cream too - feeling wonderful.

14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Congrats!!!

Vlasta, Spyder and Karl G like this.
  15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Great feeling when that happens :happy088:

Karl G, Billyfergie and Vlasta like this.
  17. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a budding obsession going on here.

For years & years, shaving was just a necessary chore for me. It was finding this community of wet shavers that turned what was once a chore into an adventure. Thanks for sharing! It was fun to read and brought back memories for me.

By the way... That is a beautiful Dovo razor!
    Merci beaucoup.

Keithmax, Karl G and Spyder like this.
  18. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Yes obsessed..... I agree that this has turned a chore into a pleasure. I look forward to each shave now and try to do it every day.... before it was once a week.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    vdj555, ninjack, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  19. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Ouch!! Been happily at it for about two months now by my reckoning. Thought to myself I would break out the Feather PB-20 blades on my Artist Club SS. Did not take care and got a 1/4" cut on my top lip left of the nose. A real bleeder too. Alum blocked it, kept my finger pressed on for 5 minutes and now Proraso repair gel. Think I will get a little souvenir scar for my carelessness. Those Feathers are darned sharp!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    vdj555, Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  20. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I think I know what I did wrong.... I tried to change two variables at the same time... 1. I used a new soap in stead of my usual cream, and 2. I used a different blade. I suspect that the soap was a little dry causing the razor to skip just a tad. That is enough to do it with these blades - skip, skip, ouch.... lesson learned. I hope.

Spyder and Keithmax like this.