My Journey

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by RetLEO-07, Jul 15, 2017.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

In the "Gillette Silver Blue" thread, @Bama Samurai had some very nice things to say about me and it got me to thinking. Back in April of 2016, I started DE shaving. I was between jobs and kinda drifting in my personal life. In my previous job I'd packed on about 20-25 pounds that I really didn't need. I was cruising the Interwebs looking for a way to unscrew myself and ran across some videos about this thing of ours. I was intrigued. So I did more research and took the plunge. Bought a VDH razor and brush, a tube of C O Bigelow, a bowl from Dollar Tree, some Wilkinson Sword blades from BB&B and a bottle of Clubman. Since I was a cart shaver, those first shaves were interesting to say the least :).
    I joined the Rodent Forum, bought some different gear and blades and found my first vintage razor. IMG_0097.JPG Got a new job dropped the weight and started honing my technique. Got booted from the Rodent Forum and washed up on these shores in November of '16. Picked up a bunch of AD's(and I love all of 'em) made a bunch of great new friends(too numerous to mention, but you know who you are) and thru the 30 Day Crew, became a competent DE shaver and a student of the game.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm glad I ended up here and if you're an FNG like I still am, you couldn't have come to a better forum for this thing of ours.
    Have a great shave, have a great day!

2. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

So how did you lose the weight?

And I'm only asking because I need to shed some pounds.

mrchick and PLAla like this.
  3. RetLEO-07

No junk food, no eating after 1900(tho I do have a wee dram on the weekends), at work we use trikes to get around the warehouse and I walk some of my assignments rather than ride. At home, I walk the dog as much and as far as he'll tolerate. I do a push-up program I found online and I weigh myself every morning and evening. Went from 199 to anywhere between 170-175 depending on what I'm eating.

4. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

I hate you.

mrchick and RyX like this.
  5. RetLEO-07

:duel:

6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Jim, this is great to hear! Your hard work paid off. :happy096:

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Good for you. I hit over 220 a few months back. I have been around 215 for years. I decided now was the time. I basically cut out bread, biscuits, pancakes, waffles, donuts, ... I eat less and try to exercise more, but I am not where I should be in that area. Anyhow, this week the scale showed 200. I haven't been under 200 since the 90s I think. Lord willing, I will be there under 200 in the next week or so. I would love to be about 180. I still eat bread from time to time. If I have a burger, I will leave off the top piece of bread. I will only eat half a biscuit instead of three. No snacks either.
    I enjoyed your original post. It was a great story. I am also glad you landed here. It is a great place with great friends.

8. RetLEO-07

:)

wristwatchb likes this.
  9. RetLEO-07

:happy088: The next 20(200 to 180) is gonna be the toughest. Get it done Johnny Reb.

mrchick, Keithmax, RyX and 2 others like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Roger that...

Keithmax and wristwatchb like this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Always good fellowship from my brothers in blue. Even retired we share a common bond, i would guess, is born from training we have in common, but forged in trust.
    Leos still always be my second family, and it's good to be around family. Bro, I'm glad your here.

12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Glad you're here Jim. TSD hasn't been the same since you showed up. In a good way!

It's an easy formula that's tough to enact.
    Do the opposite of what got ya fat.
    Less calories + more activity.

Keithmax likes this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Thanks for the kind mention, as well as sharing that with us. It means a lot to me. I hope you'll always be available to the 30DC thread. There is a guiding technique based philosophy and a group culture, but beyond that, there are no leaders or designated teachers. It's just a place where it's ok not to know what to do, and allows experience to meet enthusiasm on a daily basis. Once you finally got the attack angle thing down pat it obviously switched in to run mode for you. You can teach anyone to do this now. The irritation free BBS you get from a 109 is the same result that @Keithmax gets on his epic days with some crazy SR blades, done basically the same way. Congratulations on all the other positive results due to choices you've made. It's a blessing and joy to see you succeed, and in far more than just playing with soap and blades! :happy088:

mrchick, AGHisBBS, RyX and 4 others like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Also @COMPNOR and @RetLEO-07 and @RyX

In 2003 I weighed 300, standing 6-5.

Today, it was 188. Inside us, provided we do not have a chronic or acute disorder, is a lean and strong human underneath those pounds. The biggest thing we can do, seriously, is eat real food and drink clean water. Our genetics are amazing, and will regulate toward ideal if treated properly.

15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I can get an epic shave from a straight with a good edge, an aggressive DE, a shavette or an agressive SE. As @Bama Samurai says 'technique'. While the techniques are little different between razor types the basic techniques are all the same.

When I arrived in Korea 15 years ago I weighed 260 pounds, now I weigh between 210 and 220. I cut my carbs and added a lot more exercise. Ironically living in the city I walk a lot more than I did when I live in the suburbs. Fortunately my gym is in my apartment building and I forced myself to make it a regular part of my life and now it is a habit. Good luck to all of you trying to lose weight.

RyX and RetLEO-07 like this.
  16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Glad to have you around here. Good job on the weight loss! I'm down 53 lbs and have 12 to go. It gets tougher as I get closer to my goal.

Paul Turner and RetLEO-07 like this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

You've made the den a better place. Congrats on the weight loss.

Keithmax and mrchick like this.
  18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

There was a time where a scale told me I was 206 lbs. That led to my bout with prediabetes. Down to 182 now. I'd love to get into the 170's. The gym has motivated me well(as has trying more "sugar-free" foods).

Keithmax, mrchick and Bama Samurai like this.
  19. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

It's not hard at all. Eat lean red meat, fresh fruits and vegetables, nonfat dairy products, and exercise. Pretty soon, you will be fit, trim and totally badass! At least that worked for me.

Keithmax, Paul Turner and mrchick like this.
  20. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

RetLEO-07, that is great that traditional shaving and this forum were able to play such a positive role in your life. Thank you for making that post!

Keithmax and mrchick like this.