My Latest Acquisition Part 1 - 1933 British Gillette No. 77 set

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, Mar 29, 2012.

1. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Gorgeous looking razor, wow looks like NOS. :signs021: Jody, it is amazing the razors you find totally incredible.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Beautiful Pictures and Razor set....Makes me want to go shave again...:drool:
    Jody, your photo 'chops' are so together here...Very nice work...;)

IAmTheJody likes this.
  3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Gosh I sure wish I had this set back. :angry032:

Jorvaljr likes this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I was warning someone the other day about getting rid of stuff like that.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  5. IAmTheJody

Unfortunately, I was going through some bad times and had to sell off my collection of hundreds of razors, razor sets, etc. Didn't really have a choice at the time. Now, I want one of these to put in my rotation for use, not collecting, because I remember what a great shave this particular razor was.

Jorvaljr and Bird Lives like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sorry to hear that Jody. Hope things are better. I have had to do that with stuff before. Never fun.

IAmTheJody and Bird Lives like this.
  7. Bird Lives

Hope things have improved for you, my friend...

Wishing you the best of everything....thats the least we can wish for the cat who gave us the Jody-Yoda J Hook move...A quite deadly move, feared by whiskers....well, now the World Over! Used to be whiskers avoided Mississippi like the plague, but now that Jody hipped all of us to it, a whisker is not safe anywhere!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Gotta love MS peoples. I am originall from the Delta. Born and mostly raised around Greenville.

9. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

The multi-part hinge is, I think, only found on that razor. Lovely find.

10. IAmTheJody

Greenville is where my family is originally from. My grandfather - 100% Italian - and later his son, my uncle, owned a barbershop there in the 1940s-1980s.

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

was it down town next to Jims? I think called the Palace?

12. IAmTheJody

I don't know exactly as I wasn't born for most of it. That was my uncle's name though, Jim. I think it may have been in the old Greenville Hotel. Much of my extended family is there right this minute as my uncle Jim's wife, my aunt Dot, passed away this week and the funeral is being held. Anyway, if you know the Renaldo name, that's us. :)

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sorry to hear about your Aunt I will have to see if I can figure out where that was. I got my first hair cut in that barbershop. Can not remember who had it though.

14. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

WOW. That's amazing. l always wonder how these beauties survive so many years (84) and remain in that condition. If someone handed that to me now and said hey dude, "put this somewhere safe for me, my grandson will be back in 2101 to get it". Other than a time capsule where the hell would I put it to insure that it safe?

IAmTheJody likes this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Send to my place,.,, it will be safe,,.., yea send it here.:cool:

preidy and Bird Lives like this.
  16. IAmTheJody

Found the info... and you had it. My grandfather owned Palace Barber Shop, next door to Jim's Cafe. Here's a photo of him inside the shop...
    1922517_10205759925782062_9184974416024659257_n.jpg

twhite and preidy like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I got my first hair cut there in 1969-70. The barber was a friend of my Mom. I moved from Greenville in 2006 so that was the last time I was in there. When I moved there was a pic of me getting my first hair cut on the bulletin board. I gave it to the barber when I was getting my hair cut there again after I moved back in 2002. Very cool and a small world huh.

18. IAmTheJody

As I understand it, my grandfather was the original owner of Palace but before that he had another shop. Later on, his son, Jimmy, opened his own shop inside the Greenville Hotel. Definitely small world.

wchnu likes this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I got my first straight razor neck shave and first bottle of bay rum from there too.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  20. Bird Lives

:happy097:

wchnu likes this.