My Micromatic Super Speed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I was doing a search for GEM reversible blades on eBay and this came up. There were a pair of GEM reversible blades in the bundle, but the title claimed this was a vintage Micromatic razor. I could tell right away that it was indeed not a Micromatic but a Gillette Black Handle Super Speed, date unknown. s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    I jumped on it, because the price was right. It arrived today. I got a nice Micromatic case, a blade bank, two reversible blades, and a Gillette Super Speed, M2.
    Here it is on arrival.
    IMG_4325.jpg

I went to work spraying it with a cleaner and soaking it in hot water with Dawn. Here it is after I got finished with it.
    IMG_4328.JPG

And, I cleaned and polished the blade bank.
    IMG_4329.JPG

Attached Files:

HoosierTrooper, RyX, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  2. jar

jar Well-Known Member

A gem of a GEM. I have a black handle NDC SS that's had a blade in it almost daily for over four decades and is always out on the sink.

3. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi @Jayaruh , I have quite a few of those Gen reversible Micromatic blades, and I would be glad to send you a couple of boxes free of charge. I have plenty. If you are interested, pm me your address, and I will mail them out on Friday. Just let me know. Have a good day.

HoosierTrooper, Boojum1 and Jayaruh like this.
  4. spot705

spot705 Active Member

Many of the items listed on Ebay (Craigslist is even worse) are either mis-listed or misspelled. A good suggestion is to expand your search “outside” of the normal wording. New listers don’t always know what or how to list their items correctly. A lot of good items can be found by searching broad categories like "old razor" instead of "Vintage Gillette Fatboy". Use common misspellings like razer or razzor too.

RyX likes this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I always like getting mismatched items. You can usually get a good deal that way. Also a question, how does being reversible apply to compared regular Gem SE blades?

6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    The reversible blades were made for the GEM Micromatic. They don't work in others because they would contact the second edge. The idea is that you can use one edge until you need to change and then you would just flip the blade over for the second edge. I will have to take some pictures.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Here are some pictures I just took:
    GEM_Reversible_03.jpg

GEM_Reversible_04.JPG

GEM_Reversible_05.JPG

GEM_Reversible_06.JPG

GEM_Reversible_07.JPG

RyX, gorgo2 and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

So, what are the numbers on the blade for? :rofl:

9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Interesting, might have to look around for some and see how they shave, especially in my Micromatic OC.

Edit: Can they be used in either Micromatic, Open or Closed comb?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Jayaruh likes this.
  10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    That does not matter. It just has to be MM.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  11. Morman Bridge

Am I missing something here?
    My offer still stands.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimjo1031, Jayaruh and gorgo2 like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I never saw those until a couple months ago at an antique shop. It was only one pack, open, so the blades were rusted so I passed. Very nice of you to offer them!

Walthams are good too. I think I'll break one out tomorrow.

13. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    What offer is that? Did I miss something too?

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If somebody has DE blade hone like my Aloxite, you could keep those double edge Gems going indefinitely.

15. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I just reread and found your offer. I will be PMing you.

16. Morman Bridge

Hi, I offered to send you a couple of boxes for free. Both on this thread, and last night on the "What are you waiting on to arrive?" thread. I thought it might have gone unnoticed. That is why I am still offering them to you. If you would like I will send you two unopened boxes on Friday. Just pm me your address.

gorgo2, RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    It is done. Thank you very much. It is a very generous offer. I look forward to using them.

gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  18. Morman Bridge

I have used them, and they are hit and miss. Some are fantastic, and some suck. I don't know why.

Boojum1 and Jayaruh like this.
  19. Morman Bridge

It is my pleasure Jim!

Jayaruh likes this.
  20. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I guess that is why they did not catch on. The MM razors are all top notch however.