My MWF Thread...(Just try this method)

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Primotenore, Oct 26, 2016.

?

How do you feel about MWF?

1. My desert island choice...

47.6%
  2. It's ok, too much effort...

19.0%
  3. Meh...can't get it to work.

4.8%
  4. Never tried it, but curious...

28.6%
  5. What's MWF?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Oh no. Not another Mitchell's Wool Fat thread. Yup. I guess now would be the time to move on if this subject bores you. ;) But I haven't posted for a while and I had an urge and my latest experience with MWF was the catalyst.
    A couple of weeks ago, I took my puck of MWF and began using it as a shower soap. Long story short, I had presoaked this puck when it was new for 12+ hours. The soap leached out a gelatinous goo which I presumed to be lanolin. Afterwards, I was disappointed in the performance. So yesterday, I broke out a reserve puck of Kent Luxury Soap (MWF, rebranded) and, using my kitchen grater, I finely grated the really hard puck of soap and pressed it into my ceramic MWF container, using my 58mm espresso tamper protected with plastic wrap.

You can see that the puck is now firmly packed against the sides.
    IMG_8907.jpg
    While showering, I did put some warm water on the puck and soaked my brush. You could probably skip this step, but for me, it works best with these really hard soaps.
    IMG_8907.jpg
    I then poured off the water into my shaving mug.
    IMG_8898.jpg
    After wringing all of the water out of my brush (today was my CH2 synthetic),
    I now begin to load my brush and build my lather, which I do on the puck. I use the water that I poured off of the puck as needed.
    Now to the face: Alternating circular and painting motions, the soap explodes.
    Pass 1 Pass 2 Pass 3
    IMG_8900.jpg IMG_8901.jpg IMG_8902.jpg
    Still in brush:
    IMG_8903.jpg
    I got a great shave using my 1956 Super Speed and a Personna 74 Tungsten (6?).
    IMG_8905.jpg
    Finished with Floïd Blue:
    IMG_8909.jpg
    Rinsed off the puck and put it back on the shelf 'til next time.
    IMG_8908.jpg
    The experienced shavers will have gained little here, but if you haven't tried MWF and are curious...and you should be, this is all you have to do to prepare your puck and get a great lather.
    Thanks for reading. :)

Attached Files:

Dave in KY, Entasis, nav and 9 others like this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Good info @Primotenore! I did the same thing with my puck except I didn't have the ceramic dish. I grated it into a ziploc-type container with a lid and cut out the label from the cardboard container to label the container. I have never had problems lathering MWF with this method. I also soak the soap while showering and load with a large Omega boar brush. The lather is terrific each time!

Primotenore and Norcalnewb like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I am coming to really enjoy MWF. I have found that it is a bit more temperamental on the amount of water needed than my other soaps, but by adding water slowly, the lather can be rich, thick, creamy, and slick. I wouldn't call it a desert island soap, but it is really climbing up my list of personal favorites.

Primotenore and PLAla like this.
  4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Is Kent Luxury Soap any different in price from MWF? I haven't heard of the Kent brand.

5. Primotenore

Article Team
    The price is fairly similar today ($17). I got mine a while back and paid $14 shipped.

PLAla likes this.
  6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Primo,
    You have found the one shaving product that I have actually given up on. Yes, I was able to jump through all of the hoops to get a nice lather, but it just plain took too long. I can get a wonderful lather from soaps like Route 66 in a quarter of the time. I actually PIFed my MWF puck after doing a thirty day focus on it.
    I'm glad you enjoy it. Have fun.

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I've never had a problem lathering MWF. I've got good water, I guess.

Primotenore likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Article Team
    This is my 4th puck and I will always have one around.

mrchick and PLAla like this.
  9. mrchick

I understand. Sometimes I feel like the only guy besides @Billyfergie that doesn't like it.

Spyder and Jayaruh like this.
  10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

My MWF is gone. I'm in no particular rush to replace it. It's good stuff but certainly not irreplaceable. Several years of SAD has exposed me to too many great products.

11. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I too have never had an issue with this soap and is my #1. I use it 2-3 times a week.

Spyder and Jayaruh like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I decided today, that November is going to be MWF month for me. I've been missing The Fat.

mrchick, Spyder, dbersh and 2 others like this.
  13. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I couldn't vote because I can lather it well, and it is a nice soap, but not my favorite. The scent is fine, but a bit boring for my tastes. It is a great moistuzing soap, however, so it is perfect for winter.

Primotenore likes this.
  14. Primotenore

Article Team
    Agree. The post-shave is superior. The scent is very natural and organic. Nice change of pace from the world of parfumerie.

Straight razor dandy and Jayaruh like this.
  15. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

That's all true...and that's EXACTLY why it stays in my den.

Primotenore likes this.
  16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Mitchell's Wool Fat works fine for me, no jumping through hoops necessary. Not sure why some folks have so much trouble with it. Maybe hard water?

17. mrchick

It must be my water. It couldn't be me

Omaney likes this.
  18. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

MWF was my benchmark soap for a quite a while - the one that set the bar pretty high for slickness and post-shave feel. I've never had any problems lathering this soap - despite our very hard water.
    But over the course of the last year I discovered some better soaps (Barrister & Mann, Phoenix & Beau, Mystic Water, Reef Point come to mind here) - I still like MWF though.

That's exactly what I did with mine. My lathering approach is a little different though. With natural hair brushes I use the very wet brush on the dry puck, with synthetics I just pour a small amount of water (one or two teaspoons, never measure it exactly) onto the puck and start lathering with a dry brush.

PLAla likes this.
  19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Yep, it's like my n normally bad golf game. It's not me, it's my equipment.

HERM

Primotenore and mrchick like this.
  20. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I just picked up a puck of MWF a couple weeks ago. I've only used it a couple times and I've not had any problem working up a lather. I soak the puck while showering then load brush and use a lather bowl. I like the slickness of the soap sand, I agree, my face feels great afterwards. I keep the puck in a former Maggard soap container.

HERM

Primotenore and PLAla like this.