My new CAD rig...

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by LOOT, Feb 26, 2017.

1. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

So, I replaced my server based CAD station with one built on i7 processors. It's insane. Any PC gamer would likely love such a rig. I think so anyway.

I picked the parts and had a local shop assemble and test. My guy went full on OCD with wire management.

It's truly a work of art and insanely fast. Benchmarking on these interwebs has been fun. It runs in the 98th percentile. I dunno how it's not on the top, it has the best of everything.

This isn't shave related but I have no friends interested in such so I can't brag to them.

Any PC gamers about? If so, clue me in on something fun with jaw dropping graphics.

I'll post pictures and specs if anyone cares to see them.

2. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Does Sim racing count as a gamer?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, LOOT and Hodge like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Pics please!
    I built a gaming rig back when my children still live at home. I had to have my own machine to keep up with them. That was back in the WinXP days. For EverQuest through SWG it was a hot rod.
    Now days I'm on a Win7 laptop plugged into a flat screen TV. Oh to have had a monitor this big back then. The Dolby 5.1 sound system sure beats headphones. :cool:

4. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Oh man does that look fun! I'd never get anything productive done.

Racing sims and golf were my favorites at one time, only on a console though.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'm an old time gamer. I play Solitaire.

6. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here she is. I'm sure there are better components but this is what I picked. I think at this level of components, like razors, personal preference is a big part of the equation.

If you look at the pics, none of the things in the drive bays are hard drives. In fact, you can't see the hard drive. It's an M2.1 drive. It's a PCi-e connection under a cover on the motherboard, with it's own cooling system.

I bought (2) 27" MSI curved monitors. They are stunning. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824475001

upload_2017-2-27_9-56-10.jpeg

Attached Files:

RyX likes this.
  7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I hear you. My idea of group play is canasta.

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Amazing how technology has not only advanced, bu continues to increase the speed of it's increase while prices remain constant or get cheaper. Moore's Law?
    In 1996 I added a hard drive to a Win95 family computer. It was a 4gig drive that cost $125. We had so much storage space! I think that machine started with 16 megs of RAM. The phone I carry not only tops that by a huge margin, it has all the wizbang options not available back then. Wifi, bluetooth, a megapixel camera, color screen, and it fits in my pocket. Best part is I don't have to remember DOS command line instruction.

LOOT and PickledNorthern like this.
  9. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

It is pretty darned impressive how everything gets faster. The M.2 hard drives are a great example, they are incredibly fast. Monitors have gone insane in quality and still relatively cheap.

In 2 months my same system will cost $500 less and it will only drop while newer, faster things hit the street.

RyX likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

"The Bleeding Edge" of new hardware is another way to say "soon to be obsolete". But if you want to use the new software, gotta have new hardware. These days my gaming is a little slower. I don't need fat FPS to watch USPS tracking.

11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Me too, or Tetris.

I must have infected the kids too. They're both (young) adults now, and they have never even asked for a game console or computer games.

12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

+1

13. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Holy you-know-what! Now, that's impressive.