My new Japanese suribachi bowl - for lathering.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by IAmTheJody, Sep 12, 2012.

1. drewcandraw

drewcandraw Member

shoot i need to check out diaso or ichiban-kan or the small asian shops in the asian district...

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've been using one for almost a year with no noticeable damage to any of my brushes.

It does seem to cut the break in time for boar brushes down considerably. I figure that even if it did damage the brush, the damage would be offset by the increased speed in which lather is created, resulting in less overall wear and tear on the brush.

bittermormon likes this.
  3. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

The bowl type Surabachi isn't really that rough. It more of a textured bisque fired design. It's not as grainy as a bisque thrown pot.

bittermormon likes this.
  4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

They do look pretty good for this. If you can't find one in your area, they can be had cheaply enough on eBay.

5. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    No, lol. what they do is make a pattern of stokes in the wet clay with a wooden comb (I'm guessing. it could be a metal comb) before they fire the bowls. Here's a good picture of one:
    [​IMG]
    If you want to see a larger view of this picture, go here: http://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...b=13eqguo90&sigi=116res1tf&.crumb=sCjdcztHNhz

Doryferon likes this.
  7. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Here's my one dollar special.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tuxxdk, grump, 45auto and 5 others like this.
  8. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

Nice! Gotta get one.

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

These look so neat. I really wish there was an unbreakable version.

10. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

wow.. I will have to get one if they come in smaller sizes.

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

They do very quite a bit in size. The smallest I've seen on eBay were about 4 inches.

12. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I keep seeing them at the downtown Daiso store. Maybe one day I'll plunk down the 2-something-dollars and get one :)

14. Doryferon

4 5/8" wide and 1 7/8" tall at 15.99 $
    I haven't found a smaller yet.

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

16. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

The 5 1/2 inch is the size of mine as well and it fits just perfectly in the palm of my hand. No handles needed, thanks. ;)

To anyone who's looking for one I'd say keep a watch eye on your local second hand shops/thrift shops/ Goodwill outlets, etc. That's where I found mine a few years back and I've seen a couple more as well come through the local charity shop since then, so they're fairly common these days apparently. And 50 cents or a dollar beats 10 or 15 dollars any day! :sad027: :happy036:

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

These Suribachi bowls are getting a lot of attention lately as apparently they're very good for lathering up in.
    Cheapest I could find on Amazon was $10 but will see if I can't find one at the local Daiso again this weekend for cheaper.

18. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

I have the 5.5 inch and 3.5 inch that I bought as a set in San Jose Asian store. My daughter took the smaller one and uses with her shave creams but before she hijacked it, I used it as my travel bowl. Great bargain for the price but I will not use them with premium silvertips as the ridges are rough and not glazed like the outside of the bowl. Highly recommend as an inexpensive shave bowl.

Doryferon likes this.
  19. Doryferon

Hi,have you seen that 3.5 inch for sell somewhere in the internet?

20. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I have never seen one of these before. Now that I have seen one, I am starting a search on the net. The inside of the bowl looks like it is the perfect surface for creating a lather. Now, if I could get that inside of the bowl in a scuttle.....