My new Slant Sledgehammer...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jwr3265, May 31, 2009.

1. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

Still pretty new to this - maybe a month and a half. I just had my first shave with my new 39C.

Needless to say, I apologize to all posters that described shaving with the Slant as "like a hot knife through butter." I always though that was a corny comparison. It is , however, a perfect description.

I put aside my recently mastered 38C, figuring I could step up to the Slant. What a shave!! The Slant has the same weight and balance of the 38C I learned on.

Loaded a new Personna Red and went to work. The first stroke lopped more off my 2 day neck growth than 2 passes with other razors. I still did my 4 pass shave, no nicks, no fear, just careful technique. BBS all the way.

For any newbies - do not fear the slant. Use good careful technique, as with any DE razor and you will be very happy with this razor. Highly recommended as a member of any fleet.

2. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Congratulations on your first slant shave! and good advice,if you shave carefully with one you would get outstanding shaves from it.Enjoy it!

3. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

Sounds good.

4. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

yep............its the best out there :happy096

5. gawga_boy

gawga_boy Member

you're finding out what I learned about the Merkur Slant this weekend - it's one Superb shaving instrument.

6. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

7. x_z_1

x_z_1 New Member

The slant is forged in the fires of hell by Mephistopheles and cooled in the blood of kittens. But it does work nicely.

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Slants are great razors, just respect them for what they are and be careful and you will do well.

9. white_feather

white_feather Active Member

I think I am going to sell my vintage DEs and buy a slant and one other Merkur and then I am done. I love my Merkurs and have heard tons of good stuff about the slant. Thanks for helping me make up my mind.

10. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Excuse my ignorance....how is the blade slanted? is it the angle it contacts the face, assuming a 37c is held the same way as the 34c.

Im sure a pic would paint a 1000 words...

11. gawga_boy

gawga_boy Member

12. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Crickey that thing looks brutal & unforgiving! The blade looks like it sits square, the bed & the top are slanted.

i will have a go when i have grown the kahoona's to give it a try..

Thanks Gawga-Boy.

13. gawga_boy

gawga_boy Member

No. Problem.

Actually I find it more forgiving and get a smoother and more irritation free shave than my '47 SuperSpeed. Only time I have a problem is when doing a xTG from center to outside edge on my upper lip. You got to roll your lip in before putting the razor in place otherwise it'll nick you. I'm getting shaves now the '47 SuperSpeed can only dream of.

14. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

Actually, I have started shaving at angles with my SS and gotten great results.

I do still want to try a slant though.

15. gawga_boy

gawga_boy Member

Shaving with a regular DE at angles doesn't quite mimic the Slant as the slant also twist the blade's edge ever so slightly in addition to changing the aggressiveness from one end to the other.

It may not be the razor for everyone but all I can say is the Slant is giving me the best BBS shaves with the least effort, nicks, and irritation I've yet gotten with DE shaving. Even this morning's shave with a 4 shave old Gillette Swede (all 4 passes shaves with cleanup buffing) was outstanding.

16. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

Can you get slants with different amounts of aggressiveness?

Or is a slant, a slant?

17. gawga_boy

gawga_boy Member

I don't know for sure. Maybe some of the more experienced Merkur folks can answer that question. But from my own experience my 1940s/50s vintage Slant feels no more aggressive than my 1947 SuperSpeed. But as they say YMMV. :D

18. Tommy C

Tommy C New Member

:happy102

19. beyboo

beyboo New Member

I have a virgin 39G sitting in my shave den teasing me from time to time to explore. I am yet to give in to the temptation. Well :rolleyes:

20. Tommy C

Tommy C New Member

Slant is Slant but you can try different blades.