My new straight razor restoration tool

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by mrchick, Jun 3, 2017.

1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

It can be a little bit of a pain to hold a straight razor steady when sanding rust off of it. I saw one of these tools on SRP and decided I needed to make one. A member of that forum actually sent me the magnets needed.
    All that is needed is strong magnets, a block of wood, a piece of wood for a backstop, and some epoxy.
    [​IMG]
    The magnets are just shy of 3/4 inch in diameter, so the first step was to grab a 3/4 Forster bit and drill the holes just deeper than the thickness of the magnet. I figured the location of the center of the magnets by laying blades up against the edge and marking the wood.
    [​IMG]
    I mixed some epoxy and glued the magnets in. I put epoxy over the magnets as well. After the epoxy dried, I sanded it smooth so there would be a flat surface for the blade.
    [​IMG]
    The final step was to cut a piece of thin stock and attach it to the back of the block as a blade stop. At this point I could have been finished, but I had some thin rubber sheeting that I cover the block with. I used a light adhesive that will be easy to remove if I decide I don't like the rubber.
    Now all I have to do is put the razor against the back stop and allow the magnets to hold it steady. I now have both hands available for sanding without one constantly having to hold the blade steady. This is going to be a big help.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for looking.

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    zVERYCOOL.png Idea stolen...

PickledNorthern, Kizurra, RyX and 6 others like this.
  3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Paul76, Kizurra, RyX and 6 others like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Only steal the best!

Paul76, Kizurra, Bama Samurai and 2 others like this.
  5. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I have a couple of boxes of hard drives if people need/want maggots. Sorry, magnets.

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I highly recommend these type of 'magnet plank blade holders' as I know I've saved my fingers countless times from exposed SR edges while sanding.
    Made of shop scrap wood, mine is looking a bit worn, but holds practically any sized blade securely. Small & lightweight enough to hold comfortably in one hand, if necessary.
    [​IMG]
    Raised lip protects the fingers from the exposed edge...
    [​IMG]

I added a piece of rubber padding to the bottom in order to prevent the plank from sliding about...
    [​IMG]

I found this little item to be invaluable over the years. And yes, I 'borrowed' the idea from another longtime forum member. :D

Hillbilly79, Keithmax, Jim99 and 8 others like this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Now I have a use for my spent rare earth magnets;)
    Thanks for posting, you thieving bandit :)

Keithmax, Paul76, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

9. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Spyder and mrchick like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Yeah, me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrchick and Spyder like this.