My poor Dad

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by crackstar, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

I just found this and I feel for you. Hang in there and have faith things will work out. My dad who is 76 was diagnosed with ALK stage 4 cancer and had "multiple" blood clots a week after Thanksgiving. We almost lost him the day after Christmas due to a stroke. Now he's back to driving and is currently on a trip to the gulf with my stepmom. I'll pray for you and your family.

Yehuda D and crackstar like this.
  2. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

You and your family are still in my thoughts and prayers.

3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I am very sorry to hear about your father, Jeff. Ninety-four is very old, you are lucky to have had him around all these years. My grandmother passed away from Alzheimers. Things were difficult at first, but her last few years of life were quite happy. Alzheimer's is never a good thing, but there are moments and sometimes extended periods of happiness. Hang in there, it is hard but you can do it.

RaZorBurn123, Yehuda D and crackstar like this.
  4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Dad's condition has worsened. He's going to have to be placed in a residence quite soon because Mom and I can no longer look after him. He wandered out of the house Monday morning around 2 Am and it's a fluke that I saw him and brought him back home safely. He's presently in the hospital awaiting a transfer.

5. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

That's rough, but you have to do what is best for him. I know my grandmother really struggled when my grandfather got to that point. It may be hard, but remind both your mom and yourself that you are doing the best for him and that you cannot do it all. I will continue to pray for your family.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

crackstar likes this.
  6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Sorry to here that Jeff. I've been where you are now when my Mom was afflicted. It's a tough thing, but it sounds like ya gotta do it. I'll be praying for you.

7. Xtrimblades

Xtrimblades Member

oh, I just come by to ask the dad's plight. Now I read the situation is worse, sad to read this and feeling very bad :( hope he is doing well by now. let us keep updated buddy. awaiting your reply soon. Be with him. Our prayer always with you.

Yehuda D likes this.
  8. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Jeff, it's hard but you are doing the right thing for him. His safety is paramount. He will be ok in a residence situation, largely because you obviously care and are going to do right by him. His memory may be slipping, but yours is not. So long as YOU remember who HE is, you will be there for him, and he is blessed to have you. When my grandmother had Alzheimer's and we had to finally put her in a safer place, my grandfather thrived. He found a purpose. He was there every day, and was a blessing not only to her but to all of the residents there. Everyone looked forward to seeing him. He would go up and down the halls and talk to everyone. No one was left behind or unremembered when he was there. There are opportunities to be a blessing and to be blessed even during a dark time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

Yehuda D likes this.
  10. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I agree with you. You're absolutely right.

Bobcat and SharptoothC like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

My hope is that it's one where not many patients are, and in an area with pleasant, relaxing surroundings. And, of course, close to you and your mom.

SharptoothC, Yehuda D and Linuxguile like this.
  12. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

May God bless him, protect him and strengthen him. :)

13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

It's hard, and getting harder ... we have been there too :(

Do the best you can, and try to take care of yourselves as well (easier said than done, I know).

Yehuda D and RetLEO-07 like this.
  14. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

By the way, trust your instincts! When a facility doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. We have big regrets of trusting the nurses on some things, while feeling that my mom in law was actually not okay with them. They have a lot of expertise, but that doesn't mean they are always right.

Yehuda D likes this.
  15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Absolutely right with that-caregiver respite is vital.

16. Xtrimblades

Xtrimblades Member

Hey bro, how's dad? hows he doing?