My R41 Thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by huck1680, Oct 9, 2011.

1. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Yep, another one. I don't actually have the razor yet, I just ordered it. But I tell ya, Connaught Shaving is the best deal I could find for myself. $38 plus $5 for shipping from England to Canada. I don't know if there's a better deal out there or not but I'm pretty stoked about this one and Connaught might become my go-to shaving supply guys.

battle.munky likes this.
  2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Yes, my total with shipping from Connaught in England to me in Mississippi, USA was $37.61 USD. All I've seen from other vendors is $61.00 USD plus shipping. Waiting on my R41 to arrive any day now. I figure if I don't like it, it'll be an easy re-sell at that price.

3. newb

newb Resident Newb

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Same as I got.

Yeah, it seems that Connaught and Traditional are the places to beat as long as you don't mind the wait. For $30, I did and I'm impatient as hell.

5. huck1680

With all the interest in the R41 I decided to buy and after having checked out a number of shave related sites, Connaught really impressed me with pricing and very reasonable shipping rates. I'm going to order my injector blades from them as well so I'll be ready when my Schick "C"s arrive...hah

6. bembotron

bembotron New Member

Is the version of 2011?

7. huck1680

Yes it is the 2011 R41 head

8. bembotron

bembotron New Member

Thanks, i finalley saw the two Heads.

9. newb

newb Resident Newb

Well boys,

I just got that hyped up R41 today all the way from Ireland. Luckily for me I was sporting a nice two day growth. So, I slammed in a feather because I only like feather's in really aggressive razors. (possibly 1st mistake) I never use a feather in an untried razor, but today was the exception. I used the raking angle from the video. This clearly is a scrapper and not a slicer (like a slant). Low and behold 1 pass eliminated most of the stubble. Except for those hard to get areas that usually require buffing to get BBS. One little weeper 1st pass, a dab of styptic and I go for a simple ATG to smooth me up. (possibly mistake # 2) The second pass didn't yield the stellar results that I had hoped. Got a bunch of weepers, I'm glad that I keep the styptic close. I believe I'll use a more tame blade on my future tries. This razor has potential. It's more aggressive than a Barbasol floating head IMHO. It may be able to earn a spot in the rotation. I don't think this will be a daily shaver for me and I would never use it as a head shaver. But if aggression is what your looking for this combined with a feather blade may be the ticket.

battle.munky likes this.
  10. battle.munky

Different ain't it?

newb likes this.
  11. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

Battle.munky, is your R41 the 2011 head?
    It arrived today. I loaded a Derby blade in it, since Derby blades work well for me an all of my DEs.
    I'll shave with it tonight and see how it goes.
    For the price Jody paid, I may have to get one. That's not much more than my EJ DE87 cost after shipping from BestGrooming.
    It sure is a good-looking razor. Those comb teeth are like nothing I've ever seen. The closest thing I can think of is a Gem 1912/Junior. If it shaves as well as a Gem, it will definitely be added to my "must have" list.

12. newb

newb Resident Newb

Yes, different than any razor I've used so far. And I've used lots.:)

battle.munky likes this.
  13. battle.munky

Yes Jeremy, that is the 2011 head. It is certainly a different razor.

After having a few shaves under my belt with it I'm sold. It is a really good razor IMO. On the same note though, I can completely understand why some people don't like it. It is weird as hell. But me likey. :bounce015:

14. marcel

marcel Well-Known Member

It took me about 4 shaves to get the hang of it, but it gives me great shaves so far. I'm still learning, and my technique with this razor can be improved.
    I don't consider myself a newbie anymore, and I prefer the more aggressive open combs (new deluxes, new improved and tto open combs are my favorites). This razor really is different!

15. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I shaved with it last night. I haven't had that many weepers since I put a Feather blade in my Red Tip. That, or the first time I used my E type injector.
    It did leave my face extremely BBS.
    I'll give it a few more shaves before passing judgment.
    I absolutely hated my Red Tip after my first time using it. Then, I revisited it a few months later and now love it.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  16. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

between fear and anticipation, this could make my holiday list and start off with mild blades and work up

17. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Just got my R102 today, the white handled version. Fastest shipping I've dealt with coming from the UK, took 8 days, then again there wasn't a badger brush packed with it.... A packed of Yellow 7 O'clock's were thrown in as well.

scott wein likes this.
  18. scott wein

Enjoy Aaron. I look forward to your thoughts.

19. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Thanks Scott, I have already express my thoughts in this comprehensive article and review. :cool:

20. scott wein

a great read, very helpful and well written!

Sodapopjones likes this.