My razor blades arrive tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by The Weathered Strop, Jun 27, 2016.

1. I ordered a sample pack of razor blades and they're due to arrive tomorrow. As I've never really gotten my head into testing different products to see what works best for my face, I'm wondering how to approach this. I've just got a new razor, I'm really enjoying it, and very keen to keep trying it, but I don't want my inexperience with it to give me an inaccurate judgement of the blade. Do I go with my tried and tested Merkur 25C?

But then, at the same time, I would also like to test how the blades perform under my different razors. Maybe I'll find some magical combo... Same goes for soaps/creams, I have a few different ones I am still undecided on, how do I decide which ones to use?

The sampler pack has 100 blades, two of each brand.

How do you guys get your heads around so many different variables when testing out different products?

Carbide Mike, RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

How different is the razor you are using from the Merkur 25C? If there is a huge difference, like between a Muhle R41 and a Gillette Tech. Then I would use one brand in both razors, alternating between them for a few shaves, then trying another brand until you have tried them all. Keep a notebook and write down your feelings about each blade in each razor. If your 2 razors are similar, then pick one and use it exclusively as you test blades and make notes.

Carbide Mike and PickledNorthern like this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Whenever I am testing a new blade I try it out in my Merkur 34c, because that is the razor that I have the most experience with. Then based on that shave I will either move on to another razor if it went well or toss the blade and go to the next in line.

Carbide Mike, Matt0210 and AGHisBBS like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, just reach in and grab one of what ever you're want to compare, use it, get a feel for it, make that your base line.
    Grab product #2, use it, get a feel for it. Compare it to product #1. If it is better than product #1, product #2 is your new base line. If product #2 is worse than product #1, product #1 remains your base line.
    Continue with product #3, compare it to your base line product.

gorgo2 and Carbide Mike like this.
  5. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

@Linuxguile and @swarden43 speak wise words. When I'm trying new stuff now, I tend to follow
    30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion I don't always follow it to the letter, but I try to reduce as many variables as possible. Don't change razor too often or too quickly. Since you are testing blades I would consider that it is quite likely that you will get a bad one that will leave a false impression. This has happened to me numerous times. So, don't be too hasty to toss a brand of blades because of one bad shave. I now have pretty reliable impressions of what works for me after shaving with, say, 3 blades. If they don't feel right after that many shave then it's a pretty good bet that they aren't for you. But, don't be afraid to chuck 'em (or pay them forward) if you don't like them. Blades are the cheapest part of this pastime.

Carbide Mike, RyX and swarden43 like this.
  6. It's a Merkur 39C....

This was the approach I was considering at first, it seems pretty logical.
    Ah I still haven't purchased a 34C! Each time I plan to buy it I get sidetracked by another fancy razor! Next time though.
    I do like this approach too. It can be hard at times to establish the what is better...although I firmly believe, when trying to figure out any somewhat subjective problem, there's that "That's the one!" moment.
    I agree, to an extent. But I am concerned if I stick to a single razor, I might get a bad impression of a blade that performs incredibly in another razor, though as you say, never chuck after one bad shave. Particularly certain blades such as feathers, I've heard peak at the second or even third shave.

7. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I feel you. That has happened to me. That is why I've stuck to using the same razor for my blade testing. When I've gone through a set of shaves with different blades and the same razor, then I switch to a new razor and do the same test. I keep some notes, but mostly pay attention to my instinct when I see the blade in its packaging. Sort of like Pavlov's dog, I can feel the slicing, tearing and gnashing before I take it out of the wax paper :eek:. There are brands and blades that just always seem to work for me regardless of the razor and others that just don't work for me regardless of the razor. But, there are some that work perfectly in one razor that don't work well at all in others. As is very common on these forums, YMMV.

But, it's your shave. You know best no matter what those of us that hide behind our computers say. Relax and enjoy your shave.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Reducing variables is the key to testing. The one thing you are evaluating are the new-to-you blades.
    So use your favorite brush/soap/razor with blade #1. Shave and record your impression. If it's positive do day #2, and #3, until you feel you have a true impression. If it's bad, try it in another razor, or try the second blade of that type.
    Assuming you are Human Normal a bell curve should illustrate your results. You will have a few bad results, some sub par, a bunch of OK's, some pretty goods, and a few very best.
    You might avoid reading others opinions about blades to keep from skewing your impression. Contrariwise you might research what others think and start with the worst so that they only get better (in others opinion).
    Along the way your skills will improve. Your soaps, brushes, & alternative razors, too. Fifty different brands of blades is a daunting test. Remember this is not Consumer Reports. This is you seeking your closest, most comfortable shave. Have fun while you work your way through that selection.
    If you seek a place to record your findings, and folks that may have information about all those variables look into The 30 Day Rule/Focus Group. There's no obligation except to yourself to get your best shave with the tools you own. Bonus; there are Shenanigans.

Carbide Mike and Linuxguile like this.
  9. Well guys, they arrived! I decided to do my first shave last night using an Astra blade in my 25C, with Body Shop Maca Root shaving cream. Compared to a couple weeks with the sledgehammer and Merkur blades, last night's shave felt like I was shaving with a cloud, SO comfortable. I think I've got a winning combination here! I think the next blade I'll test is either the Personna Platinum, Feather, or Vokshod, any recommendations?

My choices are, from this sample pack (apologies about all-caps, copied and pasted from amazon):

1. FEATHER - NEW HI-STAINLESS
    2. KAI - STAINLESS STEEL
    3. ELIOS INOXIDABLE
    4. POLSILVER - SUPER IRIDIUM
    5. GILLETTE - RUBIE PLATINUM
    6. WILKINSON - SWORD (INDIA)
    7. GILLETTE - PLATINUM
    8. GILLETTE - STAINLESS
    9. GILLETTE - 7 0'CLOCK - PERMASHARP STAINLESS
    10. GILLETTE - 7 0'CLOCK - SUPER STAINLESS
    11. GILLETTE - 7 0'CLOCK - SHARPEDGE
    12. ASTRA - SUPERIOR STAINLESS
    13. PERSONNA - PLATINUM (ISRAELI RED)
    14. DERBY - EXTRA
    15. ASTRA - SUPERIOR PLATINUM
    16. SHARK - SUPER CHROME
    17. WILKINSON - SWORD (GERMANY)
    18. GILLETTE - SPUTNIK
    19. VOSKHOD - TEFLON COATED
    20. RAPIRA - PLATINUM LUX
    21. RAPIRA - SWEDISH SUPER STEEL
    22. LADAS - SUPER STAINLESS
    23. RAPIRA - SUPER STAINLESS
    24. RAPIRA - STAINLESS CHROME
    25. PERMA SHARP SUPER DOUBLE EDGE
    26. ZAZA - SUPER STAINLESS
    27. GILLETTE - NACET STAINLESS
    28. GILLETTE - 365
    29. PERSONNA - CRYSTAL
    30. BOLZANO - SUPERINOX INOSSIDABILE
    31. SUPER-MAX - BLUE DIAMOND
    32. SUPER-MAX - SUPER STAINLESS
    33. TREET - PLATINUM SUPER
    34. TRIG SILVER EDGE
    35. TREET DURA SHARP
    36. TREET - CARBON STEEL
    37. TREET - CLASSIC
    38. ZORRIK - SUPER PLATINUM
    39. BLENDAX 40. PATRIX SUPER STAINLESS
    41. CLOUD
    42. BAILI - SUPER BLUE
    43. TIMOR - STAINLESS STEEL
    44. TREET - 7 DAYS PLATINUM
    45. TREET - FALCON
    46. SHARK - SUPER STAINLESS
    47. CROMA - DIAMANT
    48. BIC - CHROME PLATINUM
    49. DORCO ST-301
    50. DORCO PRIME

In the past, I have used Wilkinson's Sword (pretty nice), Gillette 7'oclock (VERY nice, can't remember which one though), Derby (wasn't a big fan).

10. cigarlover

cigarlover Well-Known Member

This testing is going to take a while !!!! See ya in a few years my friend :lyrtuy5:

BigMike and barbersurgeon like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Nice mix. You will be an informed DE shaver when that list is completed. There is a fellow doing a similar list over in the 30 Day Rule/Focus group. You might lurk, or join him so that together y'all could share you impressions about such a variety.

Carbide Mike and PickledNorthern like this.
  12. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

When you make it through all those, I'd suggest trying the Gillette Silver Blue blades.. Lol.

13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Use random.org to pick the blade. That's what I do. That way you don't tend to favor the ones that you think will be good

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

dustmite likes this.
  14. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Feather is my go-to, so I'm biased. I'd personally go for the Kai, I've been reading up on them and I'm intrigued. Been a long time since I was interested in a different blade.

Demidog likes this.
  15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Just stumbled across this thread, so here's my two cents even tho I'm waaay late to the party. When I bought my EJ DE89lbl I did some research and settled on five blades: Astra greens, Bolzano, Derby, Feather blacks, Gillette Silver Blue, Shark Super Chrome and Classic Wilkinson Sword. Testing started on a Sunday with a 2 day beard and went to Friday(I have to shave every day for work). These were 3 pass shaves at the time(I'm now down to 2). I found that for me the Sharks work the best in my DE89. I'm now in the process of doing the same testing for my NEW SC and my '71 Super Adjustable 109. Hope this may have been helpful. Good luck in your quest.

Demidog likes this.
  16. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Nice sample! From that sample KAI is my own favorite. Like Feather, they are also from Japan. They last longer than any other blade I have tried and they are very sharp.

Voskhod is a nice blade in the milder end of the scale.

Your favorite blade might be different between different razors, as each razor got its own optimal angle.

Demidog likes this.
  17. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Lots of great feedback on blades and you have a great assortment of fine blades. It was easier for me to find a blade I liked. I have developed a mild allergy to stainless steel over the years and I use Treet dura-sharps because they are carbon and don't irritate my face.

Demidog likes this.
  18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

As for how to pick the sequence of blades, I like to do this with help from my friends, Eenie, Meenie, Minie and Moe. I also suggest keeping notes on your impression of each blade as to smoothness, closeness, irritation (or lack thereof) and blade longevity.

Terry Williams likes this.
  19. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

A Voskhod in a Tech is what does it for me...a mild razor with a smooth blade. Nary a nick.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  20. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I'm still working my way through a sample pack of 18 brands. I'm now in my third month of the test. I've stepped it up by changing the test protocol. Initially I was giving each blade at least a three shave test. I only use a Merkur 34c so all blades are tested equally from a razor standpoint. I was finding some blades such as the Wilkinson (Germany) gave we a lot of irritation on the first shave but more comfortable on the second. As I tested other blades there were some like the Astra SP and Lord Platinum that gave me an excellent, close, smooth, and comfortable shave with the first shave. Thats' when I changed the protocol. Why should I suffer through a less than adequate first shave. I am now trying a new blade with each shave (I generally shave three times a week). Once I rate my top 5 or so, then I will go through those again with multiple shaves to get to my top 2 or 3. I will then buy those in bulk. I'll keep all the blades around for future testing with other razors but the Merkur 34c is my go to daily razor. I'll buy some other single packs of blades that were not in the sample pack for future testing. I want to try the Voskhod, Treet and Rapira for sure. Good luck with the test. As I've said before - my wife thinks I'm crazy doing this but she admits it does keep me off the streets and out of trouble.

Carbide Mike and Linuxguile like this.