My razor blades arrive tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by The Weathered Strop, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

You never know what blades are going to surprise you and be good for you, especially ones that others hate. When I got my sample pack of blades a couple of months ago, I got on here to see what blades people thought were best. I got a pretty good variety in my sample. Alot of names were thrown out there, voskhods, feather, shark. Alot of people like Astra SP blades. The first blade I ever tried were voskhods and they are really good blades, very smooth. But when I got to the Astra SP I thought for sure that it was going to be my favorite blade of all. But when I tried the Astra SS they were a little better IMO. Most any blade is good its just a matter of preference.

2. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

Astra SS blades are my favorite. They are smooth, sharp enough and very consistent. Perfect blades !!!

Matt0210 likes this.
  3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Spoiler Alert: Perma Sharp Super is the best! There I've saved you months of hard work....lol!

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

It's a personal thing. I love Feathers and GSB blades best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. as a total newbie that has just ordered my gear online. I am wondering how different all the blades can be. Like on a scale from on to ten ten being smooth like butter and 1 being cut your face off. Can the same razor be that different with different blades? If there is a huge difference how do I know in the beginning if this blade is not for me or if just have no skill at this yet? How long do you suffer through the 30 days normally to know it is the blade and not me?

6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

At this point, it's all technique. Blades don't matter nearly as much as people like to think they do.

Drygulch, gorgo2 and John Robertson like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Having sampled 90% of the razors, blades, creams and soaps that I wanted to try and having written of the remaining 10% as unnecessary or unobtainable (I'll never come across a Streamline, for example, and that's okay), I've pretty much settled on a minimalistic rut that I'm comfortable with only because I'm content with having tried most of what I wanted to try. Takes time to get to that point but here I am.

champagneinhand likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep. Technique is King. All other factors bow before it. A skilled hand can get a supercomfy BBS from a Dollar General Dorco razor while a less skilled hand will draw blood with the most expensive DE loaded with the hyped blade of the week. Is either one attributable to the tool, in either case? Nope. Just a question of skill, which like anything else is a question of practice and time.

Drygulch likes this.