My shave of the year.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Jan 13, 2017.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

[​IMG]
    Actually it was not my shave. It was a dear friend of mine. He is battling thyroid cancer that has spread to his bones. He has had 3 major operations in the past year.

He is in the hospital right now recovering from having some of the tumor removed from his lower spine. I called yesterday to see if he needed anything. As was planning on visiting him today. His only request was for me to pick out a razor and software for him. He wanted to get a nice shave.

As I am always talking about wet shaving. He wanted to give it a go. So I picked out my favorite soap and AS. I brought my GEM 1912 and a Schick L with a Chick blade. He chose to use the GEM.

I whipped up a nice thick lather for him. As he is confined to a bed right now he shaved there with no mirror. Watching him shave I saw how VERY fortunate I am. He has no family or relatives. Yet his attitude is incredible. It took all of my will not to start crying.

Anyhow he did 3 passes without using a mirror and only got 1 nick on his chin. Watching him shave and see the satisfaction on his face and enjoying a simple shave. That made me think that we need to really appreciate the little things in life.

So your next shave, really try to enjoy these few simple pleasures.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'65 G-Slim, gorgo2, GatorJoe and 43 others like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Thanks Tom. Sometimes we take things for granted and assume everything won't be changing for quite some time. We need to be reminded how lucky we are. I'll enjoy my morning shave a little more tomorrow and I'll think of your friend.

Take care of him and hopefully the shave made him feel good.

Troy M, Toomuch40, Dzia Dzia and 8 others like this.
  3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Tom you're a good friend. I'm sending best wishes to your friend I hope all goes well and he makes a full recovery!

Troy M, Toomuch40, Dzia Dzia and 7 others like this.
  4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thank you Jorge.

5. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

You are a good man, Tom.

Greg W.

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

This is the post really touched me emotionally. Your friend is lucky to have you in his life Tom. I will pray for your him. Thank you for sharing!

7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thanks Brian. I was so moved by this, I had to share this with all of my friends (everybody here on the forum)

I am thankful to have a friend like him. I only hope that I am that positive and strong when I am faced with such a test of faith.

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good on you Tom. We joke about being Shavevangelists. You have gone the extra mile. Sir, you are an inspiration to us all.

9. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this touching story Tom.

10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Thank you for sharing, Tom.

11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Beautiful story @twhite, thank you for sharing it. Your a good friend and he is a lucky guy to have you as a friend. It's amazing how something so small(shaving) can mean so much when your denied easy access to it. Good luck to the both of you.:)

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

That is a very moving post. Thank y0u for sharing it.

13. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

You are truly a blessed man, Tom White.

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Great story, Tom. I will pray for your friend's recovery. If you are setting him up with some hardware, I can help with a brush. Let me know.

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Tom was very emotional and touching. Everyone should be so fortunate in life to have a friend like you. My prayers are with your friend. Thanks for sharing.

16. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Great account of your visit with your friend. It really makes me think about how fortunate I am to be able to enjoy the small things in life.

Sent via mobile - Chris

17. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

+1000. I had an image of him rubbing his face afterwards and a very satisfied smile. Glad you could made that happen - and best wishes to him for a full recovery. :happy088:

18. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

You're a good man Tom.

19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Yep, a good friend. Very well done.

20. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Having been in a similar situation years ago your post brought a tear to my eye. Thank you for providing a reminder of something I need reminded about every so often. Life is precious and short. Cherish the present. The here and now. You say he has no family but to my way of thinking you are his family. Prayers for your friend.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017