My Straight Razor Journey

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by COMPNOR, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Learn on a straight, convert to a stainless shavette. You are doing well, and I predict will leave PSO behind soon.

Kizurra, Spyder, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

R66 is similar to Stirling in its behavior and performance.

Kizurra, Spyder, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I don't think the PSO affects the shave at all - it keeps the skin supple to minimize nicks, weepers, and cuts. This link from B&B explains it well: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/How_Pre-shave_Oil_Works :eatdrink047:

BeShaved, Kizurra, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that Karl:) I passed on the pso, until I started shaving with a straight. My own experience pso does provide a more comfortable shave. I wet my face and apply the pso directly to my wet face and massage in. It does make the skin more supple and pliable, both during the shave and post shave. The article that @Karl G references, explains the benefits to the skin perfectly and my experience as well. As a side note, I have pretty dry skin, which can use all the help it needs.

5. Karsten Mouritsen

Karsten Mouritsen New Member

Read your post and took your hand-switching as a dare.
    #stupidstupidstupidme
    #noscarsatleast

BeShaved, Billyfergie, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I don't get your hashtags, or hashtags in general. Do they mean you had a successful shave, using both hands?
    BTW, welcome to The Shave Den. Wander over to the Welcome Center, and introduce yourself.

BeShaved, Billyfergie, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Sounds like he didn't draw blood, which is a good thing, I think ;)

8. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Interesting read, thanks. Well I have been using it again.

The single passes WTG are going well I think, though I was starting to feel like I was at an impasse. So tonight I wiped the blade and did notice little stubbles, so I guess it is cutting. I need to watch the Lynn video again. But I feel like it might be time to learn a new direction.

I am enjoying the straight shave, and stropping which I'm now doing 30 on the rough leather and 50 on the smooth.

9. COMPNOR

Tonight I was able to shave half my upper lip, the left side using my strong hand. It was a XTG pass. Went well enough. We won't talk about the other side though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BeShaved, Keithmax, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Are you shaving with a straight every shave?

BeShaved, Karl G and Bama Samurai like this.
  11. COMPNOR

Correct. Mainly it is just the first pass, and then using a Schick E3 to finish.

BeShaved, Karl G and Bama Samurai like this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

That's good. Using a str8 regularly will speed up the learning process. Keep on keeping on:)

13. COMPNOR

Evening gents...

So I'm looking to add a new direction to my shave (probably XTG), but am having trouble figuring out how to do it. I've looked over at SRP and seen their different grip pictures, and I've watched Lynn's video (just found out he lives in the area!), but his XTG shave looked like a WTG shave to me.

So looking for anything to help, either some other videos or maybe some more pictures...

Thanks!

Spyder, BeShaved, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  14. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Skin stretching is especially important to my XTG on the neck and jawline. Much easier to get a 90 degree (or thereabouts) angle when the skin is lifted up and away from the curves of the neck and jaw. :happy088: The cheek is pretty straightforward for me.

15. COMPNOR

I assume you're going from ear to mouth? And are you using strong hand/strong side, or crossing?

16. Bama Samurai

Make sure you've got an accurate idea of what Xtg really means on your beard. I switch to a strong hand kamisori grip for this area.

17. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I had to think about this. I use my strong hand on each side for this pass. However, it is always good to experiment to find what works when running into a challenge. Sometime a different part of the blade or grip or hand or angle or puffing up, or stretching skin, etc. The only right way is what works on your face. :)

18. COMPNOR

Yeah, but I don't want to have to learn how to become a contortionist to do it. ;)

I was able to do my strong side, it just didn't feel natural. More practice I guess.

19. BeShaved

BeShaved Well-Known Member

I never switch hands because I am afraid that my off hand will drop the razor or cut me.
    Any tips?
    Or I should just dare myself?

20. COMPNOR

Well if using your strong hand works for you and your getting good shaves then I say stick with it. Different strokes for different folks.

But if you want to try then just go for it. I find shaving with my weak hand almost easier. I don't know if it is because I'm being more careful or what.

Now just got to figure out how to grip the razor for other angles.

BeShaved, Bama Samurai and Spyder like this.