My Straight Razor Journey

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by COMPNOR, Jun 2, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I do just fine, with using just one hand, as do many others. If I ever injure my dominant hand, well, I guess I will learn to use the other. It's all a personal preference thing.

2. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Now just got to figure out how to grip the razor for other angles.
    Here's some illutrated shots of various grips to consider. I wouldn't take their characterization of grips that are for WTG, XTG, etc. too strictly - they can be used wherever and others work as well or better. :chores016: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/How_to_hold_a_Straight_Razor

BeShaved, Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Practice with a shavette minus the blade or a better knife. I did this to build muscle memory and gain confidence using my off hand.

BeShaved, Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  4. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Thanks. SRP has similar. I grabbed my straight before shaving and just played around with different grips and gently holding it up to my face to see how it would work. I didn't try a ATG pass but I feel like that would be more comfortable (body mechanics) than a XTG pass. Though I was able to do a XTG (ear to chin) pass.

I know it is cutting, I can see the stubble when I gently watched it off my blade. Two nicks, one I felt.

I've also decided to start a shaving journal to get an accurate count, though we will see how long that lasts.

BeShaved, Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Don't be afraid to try several different grips or other ways to hold it. I believe it probably took me at least a couple months before I had my own way to complete a shave. I was getting really good shaves within a month, but it was three to four before it " clicked". Eight months later, its as natural as combing your hair or brushing your teeth:). Be patient and persistent, it'll come.

Keithmax, DaltonGang and Karl G like this.
  6. COMPNOR

Patience doesn't come easy. I demand instant perfection. It is why I don't do anything artistic. Stick figures can only do so much for me.

BeShaved, JohnDB, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  7. Keithmax

Straight razor shaver's in general are at OCD group, you are in the right place.

BeShaved, mrchick, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  8. COMPNOR

So I decided to try an ATG pass on my cheek (face, not the other) and as I was making my pass the razor felt like it was getting sucked in and stuck if that makes any sense. Is that due to not slick lather, or not stretching well enough? I thought I was, but maybe not.

BeShaved, Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Generally, if your razor "gets stuck" it's due to having to dry of lather. Straights require slicker lather, which means adding more water. "Slippery" is a good thing:). You can usually get a decent de shave with sub par lather; not so with a straight.

10. COMPNOR

So I know what getting stuck feels like going wtg. This feels different, like stepping in a mud puddle and you feel that sucking motion if that makes any sense.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

11. Keithmax

:signs011:

Put down the razor get back to making some dripping wet lather. it may have been the lather combined with too shallow an angle.

BeShaved, Karl G and Spyder like this.
  12. COMPNOR

Well it was better, got about half way through one side, but everything just felt wrong then and I felt frustration setting in so I stopped. Finished with the Schick E3.

BeShaved, Karl G, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  13. Keithmax

Good move.

When something is not right with a straight out I'd down and pick up a different razor. Even now if something is hinky I will switch to De or SE to finish the shave.

BeShaved, Karl G and Spyder like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Maybe I'm different, but I just grab a different straight. If I'm shaving with a newly honed and never used straight, I always have a tried and true straight razor nearby. Just in case.

15. COMPNOR

Well, I only have one usable straight at the moment

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

16. DaltonGang

Then you have the right idea. My only advise then, is to save the ATG passes, until you are further along in your straight skills. ATG can be dangerous, if you are the least bit off. Sounds like you are on target.

17. COMPNOR

Well, I feel like I've gone about as far as I can with the WTG (North to South) passes. Not that I'm going to stop, but that I don't feel like I'm getting any more beard reduction. So last night's ATG was cheeks only, and it started well but got that sucking/stopping again, and then I tried a XTG pass (ear to chin), and that was so so but like I said I just felt frustration set in and decided to stop for the night with that.

18. DaltonGang

The sucking feeling usually means you are at a much too shallow of an angle. It could also mean you are going too slow, with a shallow angle.

19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I don't do a XTG pass. I do a WTG and go directly ATG. One of the benefits of a straight:) I could get away with that using an injector as well.

I think Scott, @DaltonGang may be onto something with the angle.Make sure you stretch the skin and try steepening the angle just a little.

20. COMPNOR

So I tried again a two nights ago, went better for ATG. Not sure what I did differently, angle, wetter lather, or both. Got about half way through, but it turned out to be another less than satisfactory shave.

i didn't shave last night, so the straight will go on hold for a week while I'm out of town.

Keithmax, Karl G and Spyder like this.