Mystery cage guard razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by kcb5150, Feb 11, 2018.

1. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

Everything about this is weird. It's a cage guard which is a design I equate with french makers, but it isn't like a french razor in shaving character. It's extremely mild. It's unbranded. It's brass (the head is anyway, idk about the handle for sure), and the cap is sort of designed to lock into the base with tension grabbing onto the thin posts, spreading them out and securing the blade. There is no play in the blade which is impressive considering how prone to distortion cage guards are in general. Curious if someone has an example in the box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I've been looking since you first showed this one without luck thus far. Did you post on the French forum (rasage-traditionnel) where one of the cage-heads there might have a clue?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  3. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

No. I don't have an account there act. Only CCC

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'll post and see if I get any hits.

RyX likes this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Huh. Just when you thought you'd seen it all. Weird (in a good way) indeed. Tuning in for the follow up.

RyX likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Hey, a double edge lather catcher......... just kidding..........

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

That is basically what cage guards are. It's why I have a real soft spot for them

8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

It looks like someone took the head from an OLD, put a new center post on it, and made a quasi-darwin handle. Definitely an interesting design.

9. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

It was a production razor. Asked around and at least 4 others exist afaik but no packaging/branding survive for those examples. I can't imagine many surviving well given how prone to deformation this style of razor is and how ridiculously fine the wires are. It would also be very large for a french de

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It's a design familiar to French collectors. Famex patent dates to 1929 but there are a number of variations on the theme. I've seen a German example and no reason to think they didn't appear elsewhere.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-famex-razors.57774/
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    RyX and richgem like this.
  11. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

The famex layout is inherently more stable.

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very cool razor.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Wonder if they were meant for use in settings with minimal water.

14. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Well, France between WW-I and WW-II would have been a bit.. on the harsh side.

gorgo2 likes this.
  15. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

40.9g btw

jmudrick likes this.
  16. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

The handle reminds me of a Darwin.

17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I would suggest the Italian forum. No experience with it myself but it exists.

18. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

Video. Amazing this has less blade play than a lot of current offerings... has a very small window of usable shaving angles and when you hit that angle you relly need to lock it in. Would be a horrible rotation razor because of this imo.

jmudrick likes this.