Name That Bay Rum

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by GarnerPW, Nov 12, 2017.

1. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

The Wife and I went out of town this weekend and hit up some local antique shoppes. At one of the shoppes I found this bottle of Bay Rum. It still smells like Bay Rum I just don't know who, where or when it was made. The front of the bottle has "Prepared by Arthur N. Christy & Co. Newark New York". The Back has "Bay Rum Made with Denatured Alcohol 58% For External Use Only". Any ideas?

Bay Rum Front.jpg The front of the Bottle.
    Bay Rum Back.jpg The back of the bottle.

2. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

No idea but great find. Have you searched on-line for the company?

GarnerPW likes this.
  3. GarnerPW

I have a little. The results I have gotten back were Popular Mechanics from early 1910ish but nothing about after shave or cologne.

sdguero and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  4. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Maybe Paul Turner will weigh in with some info...he seems very knowledgeable about such things. No matter what it is, that's an awesome find with a capital A! That would have taken my breath away and Amy would have had to call 911. Great find...I'm jealous but happy you shared with us! 346x0f4.jpg

GarnerPW and sdguero like this.
  5. GarnerPW

Calling @RyX & @Paul Turner. Can either of you gentlemen shed any light on this thread?

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have a huge Bay Rum shaped hole in my AS knowledge base. Not a fan of clove which is a major component of the blend. I'll check my resources, see what I can find!

EDIT; There was a painter by that name HERE.
    I found another product for sale, a BIN on the bay.
    The maker is not known to me, nor found on any of my regular searches.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

The only one I've tried is Stephan-hard for me to say if it is one of the ones you show.

8. Ijustmissedthe50s

I found a 1921 ad for the he company urging teachers to have a food product called MELO to the class for the students to sell. If enough was sold, the classroom would be awarded a phonograph. There's another 1921 help wanted ad for the company for ppl to become Christyzed and become a sales rep for them. Sounds like they were distributers of a variety of products, some manufactured under there own name and referencing Newark NY. No telling so far if they actually did the manufacturing, though the "prepared by" might mean they did. The MELO was made in chocolate, vanilla and lemon...maybe they used some vanilla for their bay rum! 346x0f4.jpg

GarnerPW, RyX and sdguero like this.
  9. Ijustmissedthe50s

There's a set of Face Powder and La Taska Vanishing Toilette Cream by the same company on the bay, obviously old.. says it's pretty much dried up. Refers to the company as "perfumers". You've got a really cool pc!

Attached Files:

GarnerPW and sdguero like this.