NB '16 ?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Darkbulb, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'm starting to see "No Buy 2016"/"NB '16" tags in some people's signature lines.
    Top of my head I can think of @RaZorBurn123 and @Bama Samurai for instance.
    Is this a thing now and who is doing this?

I'd have to say if so a very impressive 'early new year resolution'.

Personally I'm not ready to do such a lengthy commitment [for anything] but hats off to you guys out there that will embark on such a year. May the force be with you!

Gotta love Lil Dicky:

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Thanks! Yes, but to clarify...No Buy 16 for me means no gear like razors or brushes, and only buying consumables when it's unavoidable. I will need to acquire some SR supplies, but I plan on doing that before 2015 ends and spend the year of 2016 mastering all my gear, learning SR, and helping new shavers as needed. Of course, buying things from the TSD Forum store doesn't count...

But yeah, it might be a thing for some people.

3. Bama Samurai

Carbide Mike, Seabs, Joef and 6 others like this.
  4. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Yes, I was wondering when someone was going to post a NB'16. I need to sign on. I have a ton of soaps, my soap shelf is sagging and I need to burn through a few pucks before I buy more!

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I was doing pretty good on my 2015 Sabbatical except for the Olivewood handle group buy and most recently the DeFitch $5 deal. So, I have saved a lot of money this year. However, that did not keep me from trading. HA! I will not be participating in NB'16 though.

6. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I could do this, got plenty of stuff to get through a year but don't want to. Still to many things to try out.

Good luck to those who are involved though. It's gonna be tough to do.

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm done buying until 2017. I won't need to add any consumables as I have back stock. Rumor is my youngest son (25) wants to buy me a razor for Christmas, he's been asking a lot of questions. He's a wet shaver, I'm his supply house :)

No Buy 2016 is about me not chasing the rainbow of wet shaving. The latest and greatest! I'm tired of the chase, I have so many soaps, creams, brushes, aftershaves, razors, blades that I have used sparingly or never.

Never let the things you WANT
    Make you forget the things you HAVE!

That is such a great tag line for No Buy 2016 and for life. Take a minute and smell your soap.

8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I'm all in. I could go for the next 5 years (probably much longer) without needing to buy anything, except for some DE blades. This commitment is not for everybody, but I have decided to enjoy the multitude of products I already own. (And I own a lot) :rolleyes:
    I haven't lost my lust for wet shaving; on the contrary, I look forward to my morning shave; look forward to reading the posts here on TSD; hopefully contributing to the shave community myself. Shaving has become quite enjoyable for me and will be just as enjoyable without me buying more product. I am however, not abstaining from making trades.

211bma, Number six, Spud and 4 others like this.
  9. Primotenore

Article Team
    :signs011:

clint64, Rusty blade and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Exactly!!

11. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'm in den reduction mode. I'm probably set for life with blades, I have entirely too many razors, and am slowly thinning the soaps and creams. If I buy these days, it's to flip a razor(s).

Except for aftershave...I'm a sick puppy when it comes to afetrshave.

12. Bama Samurai

I agree. I enjoy the process more now that I am not caught up in collecting.

tuxxdk, BamaT, Redfisher and 4 others like this.
  13. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

I'm only 6 - 7 months into this type of shaving but have already acquired soooo much gear - a facet of my personality I'd not allowed myself much of in 60 years.

For all the above reasons and more, I'm gonna give this a try.

Besides, I already found my Holy Grail!

TWICE!
    2 OS Mugs.JPG
    Old Spice mug!
    Thanks @Omaney @cmorris357

14. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I'm not going to do it. I have plenty to get me thru a full year except maybe Aftershave but I've got a lot of inexpensive things I want to try. I also have some things I want for nostalgic reasons. I've been unable to get anything new for about a month and I'm not happy with it.

RyX, BamaT, Spud and 5 others like this.
  15. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out the flexibility and leniency of TSD. If other shaving forums existed, for instance, I'm sure a NB thread would get you booted. <ahem>

RyX, Drygulch, Redfisher and 6 others like this.
  16. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

In honor of 2016 being a leap year I hereby pledge to not buy anything shaving related on February 29, 2016. I'll also go so far as to say that even if I bid on something on the 29th, I won't pay for it until March 1st.

17. Primotenore

Article Team
    :)

Redfisher and Rufus T. like this.
  18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I like to look for loopholes, sorta like when I do taxes. I'm only having my wife buy things in 2016. :)

SRNewb, preidy, Morman Bridge and 9 others like this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I might sign up for the "NB 2/29 3:15pm-7:45pm" - it's good to challenge yourself.

Paul Turner, RyX, tuxxdk and 7 others like this.
  20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    @Darkbulb I can't think of anyone on this forum so ill-suited for starting a "no buy" thread.