NB '17

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Primotenore, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    After failing miserably in the NB '16 :ashamed001: (I did make it through May...whoop-dee-do).

I am now more determined than ever to buy absolutely NOTHING shaving related beginning today and continuing through all of 2017.

When I look at the "stuff" in my shave den, it's almost embarrassing. I, like many wet-shaving enthusiasts, have enough gear to last me the rest of my life...and still pass a ridiculously large shave den onto my son.

And rather than look at this self-imposed moratorium on shave purchases as a punishment, I am going to welcome it as an opportunity to put some money into more worthy causes.

Plus, I have to admit that after 2 1/2 years since returning to wet-shaving, the bloom is off the rose.

I still enjoy my daily shaves. I enjoy helping new shavers with advice. I especially enjoy the camaraderie that I have developed with many of you here on TSD. :eatdrink047:

So there you have it. I am not asking, nor expecting anyone to join me. Everyone should enjoy their shaves in their own fashion.
    I am simply putting out there that Primo's done spending money on shaving until January 1, 2018.
    Who knows...maybe longer. :happy036:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Bama Samurai, preidy, Tdmsu and 11 others like this.
  2. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Best of luck to you my friend...but I'm in the opposite camp. I had a "Low Buy 2016" and made room for new stuff.

3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I might just join you. Thinking about it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I may join you as well, but just remember... 2016 is not over. You said, " NB 2017."

I have kind of a "final" list of items before I go on a NB or low buy. But the list is quite short.

5. Primotenore

Article Team
    I'm starting today. 9/27/2016

Carbide Mike, wristwatchb and mrchick like this.
  6. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thanks! I won't deny that I can use all of the help I can get. :)

Carbide Mike and mrchick like this.
  7. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Please remind me at the end of December please. I did not do well with the NB16, maybe I can do better in 2017

Carbide Mike and Primotenore like this.
  8. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

OK, I will give it a try, EXCEPT consumables like my everyday aftershave, of which I have about a 1 month supply on hand. This is not adding too, but simply replacing a daily driver as needed. Otherwise - I'm in!

9. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Since I've never even made it through no-buy-july before, we'll see how this goes! So far in 2016 though I've only replaced a couple items as they were used up, nothing more, and have actually used up other items that I did not replace, including a couple of soaps and a couple of creams. Soooo..... I am hopeful for a passable performance!

10. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Primo this is such a great idea all I can say is

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

2016 is nearly over and I am seriously jones'ing to hit the vintage stores for razors! Best of luck and you have my support!

11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Good luck, Primo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike and Primotenore like this.
  12. Primotenore

Article Team
    You should definitely: "Have it your way" Thanks for the support. :thanks:

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Primo, I wish you luck! I'm trying to sell some items I don't use and sell a few other things around our house to make a little hobby money. I'm not going to be on No Buy but I want to try and off-set my new acquisitions by selling unused items. That's my goal at least!

14. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Primo, great idea! I will join you today - 9/29/16. I actually haven't purchased anything since I bought some new aftershaves last month. I still think I have at least a 5 year supply of everything. Nothing new is turning my head.

I will add the caveat that if I actually completely run out of something, i.e. all of my razor blades or all of my soaps, I will buy a single replacement of that item only. But, since I have over 300 blades and use each one at least 5 times, I don't forsee that happening and since I've been on the same puck of soap for 70+ days and have at least 30 more shaves with it, not to mention the 10 or 12 other soaps I have, I don't expect to run up against this at all.

Nevermind, I'm not buying anything!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  15. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I MIGHT keep restraining on software and blades. I'm pretty sure I have enough of both to last another year. Hardware is a different story. I've been eyeballing some brushes. I'd love to pick up a BIG BRUCE, and I'm considering a custom as well. I'd still like to find a PAL adjustable, and I want to try an Old Type too. I'm planning on having my Fatboy and Slim cerakoted next year too.

16. pinballwizard

pinballwizard Member

Garrett, just took delivery of the "Big Bruce"from Joe at IB. It rocks the house, no doubt. Got it...along w/several soaps and a freebee razor...the TeckII. Nice razor and all, beautifully chromed, but very a very mild razor. Take care. Semper-fi Mike

17. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

The Kong is my favorite head shaving brush right now. I like the Bruce handle better though.

Carbide Mike and whiteboy_cannon like this.
  18. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

You brave delusional people. I make this statement solely based on experience. :angry032:

19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

My goal is have my den grow no bigger than it is today. If I want to buy a new razor, then I have to sell one that I already have. Tough choices, but my wife told me so!

20. pinballwizard

pinballwizard Member

What's that....Happy Wife...Happy Life. It's all good!!!!!!!!!!! Semper-fi Mike