NB '17

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Primotenore, Sep 27, 2016.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have discovered that I am depressingly low on my most often worn summer aftershave. Low enough I am not going to have enough. I travel with it a lot, and thought I had a couple of ounces left in a little bottle, but unfortunately I had used it. I might jump out over it, might not. I have a lot of citrus scents to get by on, but I haven't decided.

Redfisher and mrchick like this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

There is snow on the ground, worry about it when it is time.

3. PickledNorthern

I hear you. Either way, the point of this is to use up crap I already have right? I have too many that need to get used used up, so that's what I'm going to do. I was just kind of surprised.

Mope over.

Redfisher, Jorvaljr, Drygulch and 2 others like this.
  4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Gentlemen, I have failed. I faltered in a moment of weakness and good prices. For $10 each I could not pass this lot up:[​IMG]

I will wear my failure badge with shame for the rest of the year. This dose not mean that I will open up the flood gates and go crazy once more. But I Probably will re-knot the brush.

Redfisher, Primotenore, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

When you quit drinking, you should stay out of the bars;)

6. Linuxguile

Hi, I'm Andrew. And I have a problem.

7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Hi, Andrew! Keep coming back!

8. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

So do I! Isn't it fun?

9. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

You broke your diet for a FatBoy?

Well, at least it looks like you got a screaming good deal on everything. Is that brush an Ever Ready?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    mrchick and Linuxguile like this.
  10. Linuxguile

I think so

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Screwtape likes this.
  11. Screwtape

Also, might I suggest that instead of listing yourself simply as "NB'17 failed", you do as the AA members do and simply climb back up on the wagon? Maybe do NNB'17 instead? (Nearly No Buy). So your new tagline would read: "NB'17 Jan 1 - 17; NNB'17 Jan 18 - ?"

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Drygulch and mrchick like this.
  12. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

My wife has asked me to get a ruling. I am doing NB17 for software only. This weekend, we were at a store I don't frequent often, so I picked up unrefined shea butter and another container of Thayer's Witch Hazel. My post shave routine includes a cold water rinse, alum bar, Thayer's, and an aftershave. My existing botttle of Thayer's (lavender scented) has less than a half inch left in it. I consider the witch hazel a consumable, since I use it with every shave, therefore not outside of NB17 Software Edition. I'm using the shea butter at night to try to get rid of dry spots on my face that the razor tears up. I wouldn't even call it part of my shaving routine honestly. Gentleman, may I have a ruling? Am I still in?
    IMG_5537.JPG

Redfisher, Linuxguile, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  13. PickledNorthern

I personally vote %100 percent okay. As far as I am concerned, both of those are skin care products, not shaving. And in the three bathrooms in my house, of which I basically only use one, all three have tubs of shea butter products, and two of them have bottles of witch hazel. To me, NB is about curbing rampant acquisition, not having to run around with a chapped face all winter.

14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    IMO, still in. I'll be buying a new bottle of Thayer's soon as well.

15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I'll state that I think you're still in.

Redfisher and Drygulch like this.
  16. Linuxguile

I think you are still good Adam, But I'm not sure my vote counts for much.

Drygulch likes this.
  17. PickledNorthern

I also think it is fair to mention: If you google top uses for witch hazel, shaving barely pokes its nose out, if you can find it at all. It has a hundred other household and skin care uses, some of them being first aid for bug bites and rashes. It would be nothing short irresponsible of you to let your household be without such a valuable natural, astringent and antiseptic.

Just sayin...

18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I vote for still in. I think I have enough WH to finish the year, but would have no qualms about replacing an empty bottle. It is a necessity, not an AD. Have fun!

Redfisher, Primotenore and Drygulch like this.
  19. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Keep going folks, not much longer till '18

Drygulch likes this.
  20. Screwtape

I think Jared has summed it up nicely - these are general use skincare products and not shaving "luxuries" that people ... uhmmm ... over-acquire necessitating entire No Buy years.

I tend to use Thayers Witch Hazel now not just as an aftershave but as an astringent cleanser for pimples anywhere and also for mosquito bites in summer. Definitely not shaving related uses. And for that matter I may pick up some shea butter as a hand cream for cold-chapped hands.

Now if you were to tell us that instead of just buying one bottle to replace a nearly empty one, you had stockpiled 4 different brands of witch hazel in 8 different scent versions...