NB '17

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Primotenore, Sep 27, 2016.

1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I would say replacing staples isn't a violation.

Bama Samurai, Spud and Screwtape like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Yeah, you're still in AFAIC.

Spud and mrchick like this.
  3. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I would say in as long as it's a consumable you use and need to replace because it's depleted. My .02.

Spud, Bama Samurai and mrchick like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

NB16 consensus was that TSD store was the methadone clinic that kept people on board.

5. Bama Samurai

Well played

Spud likes this.
  6. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Problem with a methadone clinic is that the truly hardcore addicts get their methadone dose and then go shoot up anyway...

Spud, Bama Samurai and mrchick like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Yeah. That happened too.

Carry on!

Screwtape and mrchick like this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Well, not only have I fallen off the wagon, but I'm rolling on the ground into the ditch! As I watch the wagon roll off into the sunset, I'm left in a cloud of dust and wondering how I'll ever make it through this journey. I'm brushing the dirt and debris off of my tattered clothing and trying to get my bearings.

"The reason?" you ask...
    IMG_2260.JPG
    Genco Red Cross, Geneva NY

Drygulch, Spud, Paul Turner and 3 others like this.
  9. mrchick

Looks like a good reason to me

Spud and Jim99 like this.
  10. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

That razor looks almost NOS. Not bad for something that's probably a century old.

Do you or anyone else here know what the story is behind the red cross badges on these razors?

Jim99 likes this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Oh, I bet that's a GREAT soap&A.S. combo.

Jim99 likes this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The razor is close to mint, there's no wear or pitting anywhere and the scales are nice and straight. The red on the cross looks like it's original too. From what I understand, the red cross razor was introduced in either 1913 or 1915. Since the razor was made in Geneva NY, that puts it no later than 1935 as Case and Genco merged by 1936 and moved Genco production to Pennsylvania. I'm really curious why they used the red cross logo on the scales and had red cross stamped on the tang. I wonder if they were made specifically for the Red Cross and were distributed in the event of disasters. I couldn't find anything on that.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

It's actually quite nice. It's the first time I did that combo and I think I'll do that one again.

Paul Turner likes this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've been on a big spending spree up until now, starting today I will be doing a Slow down buy 17. I'll do my best to just add the basic replacements.

Jim99, Spud and mrchick like this.
  15. Paul Turner

that's what I may have to do at the end of this year, to clinch my status as a NB'18 shaver.

Jim99 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  16. mrchick

I have that same fantasy

Drygulch, Jim99 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

My pattern has been exactly the same for the last few years. Right around the first of the year, I sell a bunch of stuff I don't use anymore, then spend like a drunken sailor til my Paypal balance is used up, then really don't buy too much for the rest of the year. I think I would stand a CHANCE at 12 months of NB, they just can't start right after Christmas. A March or April start would work much better for me.

Jim99, RaZorBurn123 and mrchick like this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Not buying is very difficult when you hang out on a shaving forum, watch shaving YouTube videos and post SOTD pictures.

AGHisBBS, mrchick, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Thhat's what I've experienced more often than should be the case(course I don't know how to do the pics, but I sure see others).

mrchick, Jim99 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I'm out. I found a British Aristocrat for a decent price and couldn't resist. I didn't think I would win the auction. I knew I was taking a risk when I pushed that confirm bid. Well, I have NB18 to look forward to.

Linuxguile, mrchick and Jim99 like this.