NB '17

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Primotenore, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Yes, my brother doesn't seem to have much trouble not accumulating shaving gear but then, as he puts it, he's "not a member of the shaving community". Mind you, it would probably be cheaper for him if he was instead of being a member of the " gun community", hanging out on the firearms forums, going to local gunshows and haunting the online gun auctions... :)

And @Paul Turner, I've always found it wasn't MY photos that got me into trouble because I already own THAT gear; it's everyone else's photos that trigger the feeding frenzy...

Drygulch, mrchick and Paul Turner like this.
  2. Screwtape

The online auctions will get you every time. I've found there was only one safe way to handle them if I was trying to quit buying something (shaving stuff now; guns, knives, militaria, hats and fountain pens at various times in the past) -- and that was to quit looking entirely.

On the other hand, if it's a British Aristocrat in good shape and the price was decent, it was probably well worth taking a dive for...

I'll see you in NB'18. Maybe we'll both do better there. ;)

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I'm still good, but like @Screwtape the only safe way is to quit looking entirely.

I have been looking around and even thought about a Darwin Deluxe for $25 and a bottom dial toggle for $15 at a local antiques shop, but passed on them... ;)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    RaZorBurn123, Spud and mrchick like this.
  4. Screwtape

Now that comment about your local antique shop was just plain mean... :) BTW, you forgot to mention that the bottom dial toggle was still NOS in its original case with all its paperwork...

AGHisBBS, mrchick and PanChango like this.
  5. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Still in. I agree with @RaZorBurn123 though; temptation is everywhere and I'm constantly looking for it.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I'm out.

Picked up a couple tubs of TOBS (Rose and Avocado) and a tube of Trumpers SC....

RaZorBurn123 and Screwtape like this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm aiming for NB18. Let's achieve it together.

Screwtape likes this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Yeah! NB18! Let's go baby!

RaZorBurn123 and Paul Turner like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I think I can accomplish it with two mega-purchases. One in early May when I turn 60(Happy Birthday To me), and one at the end of the year. It's been documented that drug store purchases don't count, right?

AGHisBBS, Jim99 and Screwtape like this.
  10. Screwtape

After nobly passing on buying a Darwin and a bottom dial toggle for $40, you fell prey to two tubs of TOBS and a tube of Trumpers? Was it the alliteration that got you? ;)

11. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I don't have any temptation because I don't look. I still have enough aftershaves to last a couple of years, razor blades may run out in a year or so. Shave soap, enough for a couple of years but when the Tabac runs out I may replenish it and MWF but we'll see. But I've just traded these aquisition disorders for others, that are actually more expensive, so I don't have a moral high ground to preach from.
    :ashamed001:

Drygulch, AGHisBBS, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I finished up my TOBS Rose this morning and knew I wanted more. If I would have just replenished it, I could have stayed in, but Trumpers was on sale and it has been a while since I had a tub of the Avocado SC so I said what the heck and picked up a few tubs. Free shipping and all....
    I have been down that road... shotguns get expensive rather quickly.

13. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I have been windo shopping on the Timeless Razor website. There are some beautiful razors there. I'm still in though. I thought about putting some cash away, actually saving up for something to reward myself on January 1/2018

Screwtape and mrchick like this.
  14. Screwtape

Can't argue with that. I just did the same thing myself: last week I reached the last few shreds of soap in my decade-old tub of TOBS Avocado, which had long since turned into scentless medium-hard soap but still lathered well. Even with all the other new soaps and creams I had coming, I decided TOBS was one I wanted to keep on hand and I ordered a replacement tub of Avocado. And then added tubs of Sandalwood and Lavender to get free shipping...

They arrived yesterday and are all superb. No regrets at all about getting them and wouldn't have any even if I had broken my NB'17 for them.

I didn't break my NB'17 directly for the TOBS, but the loot that did make me jump off the wagon has started to trickle in. Notably my Envy Shave red Alluminati brush with an Envy White badger knot. It's the most expensive brush I have ever owned and I have to say that it's worth every penny and was worth leaving NB'17 for too.

Drygulch, mrchick and PanChango like this.
  15. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Mid March and still in. If I want to go shopping, I just go to my bottomless shoe box in the bottom drawer and I will find something I've not used before.

AGHisBBS, mrchick and Primotenore like this.
  16. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Going strong. Helps that I have enough stuff for at least 2 more years and that I have over 40 razors to chose from. So now problems here so far

17. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I'm still in on my software NB17, but not for lack of trying on my part. (As an unrelated note, bath bars give the same scent, aren't shaving related, and get used up faster if you have six or seven years of shaving soap squirled away.) I have tried some raffles and auctions, and haven't won any yet, so no purchased software.

Spud and mrchick like this.
  18. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Still here. I really want a Timeless razor but I'm saving up; it might be a reward on January 1/2018

mrchick likes this.
  19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Im still out. :) I haven't bought anything since the one purchase, but am not upset with myself at all. I am enjoying the TOBS Avocado and ithas been about 5 or 6 years since I last had a tub. If this is all I spend for the year, it wont be a bad thing.

20. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Well, this whole NB thing is to have fun whilst participating in a little friendly competition, as far as I'm concerned. If the TOBS Avocado is something you've enjoyed in the past you did the right thing, IMO. All I really hope to achieve is to keep my purchases in check and tone it down.

mrchick and PanChango like this.