NB '17

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Primotenore, Sep 27, 2016.

1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

You are absolutely correct. It was just a light hearted post. Not that I buy all that much any more and I didn't really think I would make it through the year, but I thought I would make it more than 2.5 months. :) I have been down the excess road and completely understand. A few years ago I used a single puck from start to finish and realized just how much crap I had here. Since then, I have used up or PIF a bunch of stuff and am in a much better place than I have been. I still have too much crap, but am generally smarter about my purchases these days.

Erik Redd, Spud, Paul Turner and 3 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I did NB16 for all the same reasons.

3. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

I vowed at the beginning of the year that I would buy only one product this year, and enter the NB with that one exception: a Timeless .95 open comb razor. I've been reading all about it, deciding whether I would buy it for my birthday next month, or wait until the pain built up later in the year. Along the way, I kept reading about the Asylum RX razor, and began to doubt the Timeless commitment. Last Saturday, a local gent offered an RX for sale. That afternoon, I met him for a beer, forked over the cash, and acquired the RX. Thus, technically I've breached my vow. On the other hand, I spent less than I would have spent on a Timeless, and supported my goal of spending less money. I know I'm in a conflict of interest position, but I maintain I'm still in. What do you ethicists think?

Erik Redd, Spud and mrchick like this.
  4. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

So I went to a flea market with my wife and daughter today. I was just looking around and saw a Schick Injector. I picked it up and checked it out. For $5.00 I thought "how can I go wrong?" I bought it, walked along all pleased with myself then it hit me: "OMG I just bought something!!" I completely forgot about NB! I couldn't believe it! I disgracefully excuse myself....for a $5:00 razor at that. I'm pissed.

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

you may still be safe-I think this refers to on-line purchases only. (I may be wrong, I may be crazy, HEY, but I just may be the LOOOON-a tic I'm lookin for)

Jim99 and Spud like this.
  6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

If that's the case, I'm still in

Spud and Primotenore like this.
  7. Paul Turner

Some guys here are challenging my NB 18 with "betcha won't, betcha won't" :). I know it's all in fun. Who knows, when the NY Eve ball drops to begin 2018, I could be like Robert Redford's final line of "The Sting"....as he said naah, I'd probably blow it.

Jim99 and mrchick like this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :happy097:

9. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I appreciate it. But I bought a razor: I can't be anything but out. It wasn't an excuse to get out, I really did forget. I wouldn't feel right to be still in. Staples like witch hazel or pre shave cream is one thing, a razor is another, IMHO.

mrchick likes this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

You may be wrong. For all I know, you may be right!
    :git:

Paul Turner likes this.
  11. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Do please post pics. Among other things, inquiring minds want to know which particular model of Schick injector did you get.

They can be superb shavers. If you have any trouble finding blades, let me know and I can PIF you a cartridge or two to get started. Just PM me your address.

Spud and mrchick like this.
  12. Paul Turner

well, that brings us right back to square one. Thanks Billy for writing such a confusing song!!! lol

Jim99 likes this.
  13. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

14. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Thanks, I appreciate the offer but I bought a pack of 7 blades at a local pharmacy, will try tomorrow. As you can see I tried uploading a picture but for some reason I'm having problems with Photobucket.

Screwtape likes this.
  15. Screwtape

Nice to have a local pharmacy that stocks them. I have never ever seen anything but a few basic packs of Wilkinson Sword DE blades in any stores around here. I could only get injector blades or Gem-style SE blades online.

For what it's worth, I'll pass on one tip I got from people here on the forum about injector shaving that has been very helpful: skin stretching is your friend. Much like shaving with a straight (and more than with a DE), it really helps to stretch the skin taut with your offhand as you shave with an injector.

Spud and mrchick like this.
  16. matt.braley.104

matt.braley.104 Active Member

I have one of those I got it for $4 at an antique store

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mrchick likes this.
  17. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

And I'm out. Barrister & Mann limited release. I stayed off their site yesterday to avoid temptation, but I saw this on Amazon today, and I am out.
    Awesome.jpg

mrchick, Screwtape, twhite and 2 others like this.
  18. Screwtape

Ha! Made by a fan of The Mouse That Roared! That was a funny series of books. And the Peter Sellers movie was pretty good too.

mrchick and Drygulch like this.
  19. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

How y'all doing?? Staying strong? No problems here so far, got lots of stuff to work with so I'm good

mrchick likes this.
  20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am still in, but it was close. Someone was selling a butterscotch Paladin Chief, exactly what I am looking for. I came this close to pulling the trigger, but I didn't and it sold very soon thereafter. :angry017: