NB '18

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by CliffDweller, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

After reading the first 20 posts on this thread I am having a deja vu....all over again....

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I actually have a different take on this statement. NB SHOULD be a personal challenge, not a "group" challenge. Participants should make a personal goal of not purchasing ____(fill in the blank) in 2018. If you want to go "cold turkey" and abstain from ALL purchases, go for it. IF, on the other hand, you want to reduce the size of your den, exercise a bit of control over your AD's, that is a good reason too. I think we can all agree that those of us who participate in these NB "challenges" are shavers who's dens are out of control, or simply want to enjoy the products we already own and refrain from making more superfluous shaving purchases. If I run out of Thayer's Witch Hazel, I will repurchase, because I don't have any other WH. IF I run out of MWF, I will not repurchase, seeing as I have enough soap in my arsenal to last me for the foreseeable future. :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  3. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

^^ Primo, that works for me, I don't think we need to hire private detectives to snoop in everyone's shave den or anything. This is a personal challenge that some of us feel will be good for us, so set your own rules & parameters, we're all different.

jtspartan, AGHisBBS, Redrock and 2 others like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have tried this before but failed. However, this may be the year for me. I really do not need/want any more razors, blades, or soaps and creams. I will continue to make my shaving brushes and adopt them out.

5. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

After successfully completing NB 16 and 17 (well with only 2 weeks left I don’t forsee any purchases) I’m in for NB 18 as well.
    There are only 2 things that would take me out and that’s if I stumble on a Toggle or bottom dial adjustable for a reasonable price (I.e. a steal).
    I have zero desire for anything new as far as hardware.
    I’m set on soaps and AS, blades will be replenished sometime in the spring.

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Well said. I’m considering trying this again in 2018. I think I only made it to February this year.
    I have enough gear to keep me going for years and plan on shutting down the AD’s. No more software and only trades on hardware.

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm just pleased that many will be participating, along with me.

Jim99 and AGHisBBS like this.
  8. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Well said. I only made it to March last year on the "not buying a thing" plan. Then, when I failed at that, I let my purchases run out of control for the rest of the year. And just now I caught myself considering buying several soaps and splashes from two makers I don’t have (B+M and Stirling) purely to get them in the door before 2018 in case I did another "cold turkey". Which when you think about it rather defeats the whole purpose...

My rather modest personal goal for next year, rather than saying I am going to go "cold turkey", will be to refrain from making any purchases of retail goods without considering the matter for at least two days after the initial decision to see if I really just am impulse buying it.

I started that today with that soap and splash order...

9. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

You certainly could donate a stack of Williams to the TSD Raffle. I would do it with the next raffle though -- the current one already has 18 prizes with 26 tickets sold so far.

mrchick and Jim99 like this.
  10. Rusty blade

I agree Primo. As with most things in life we need to face our personal demons alone. And everyone will want to achieve something different with their NB 2018 challenge. My personal demons are soaps, creams, aftershave balms, blades, SEs and DEs. Of those, I have enough to last well into the next century. Now, having said that, I can't pass by an orphan straight razor sitting alone, cold and hungry, with bits of rust on the blade and tang, and dirty scales in an antique store display case. I feel it is my duty to rescue it from this sorry state and bring it home, restore it to its former glory and give it a prominent place in my straight razor display case.

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

We have the same issue. I have no problem passing on everything but straight razors in need of rescue. That will be the hard part.

12. Rusty blade

To me it is a matter of conscience. I couldn't forgive myself if I passed by a straight razor in need of a good home. Everything else can be on the no-buy list for 2018....but not homeless straights. :chores016:

Primotenore, Screwtape and mrchick like this.
  13. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

After failing two consecutive years, I will try again this year. I want to be up front though, I use drugstore brand witch hazel as a splash after every shave so I will need to buy that occasionally. Not withstanding that, no new purchases.

14. Paul Turner

Update-and NOW I'm ready to go. Note: Looking at these two almost identical sentences may cause one(or everyone)to wonder what I was talkinabout. At my first claim, I still wasn't satisfied or settled with a, A.S. match to my Bay Rum Soap(thanks again Adam for the Jeeves). Just now I made an order to solve that problem. I'll list it when it arrives, but I can finally say "come after me 2018!". :)

15. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

I'm on the bus, in my seat ready to go for '18.

Got into wet shaving early last year and spent much too much time and $$ finding out what I liked and wanted. It's time to thin the den and get good with what I have.

Kudos to those who are continuing an NB from this year into next. Will-power is a skill I'm always working on and I commend those who successful with it.

16. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Count me in, my last purchase will be here 12/23 and thats it for me. I enough products to last me a lifetime.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

mrchick and Screwtape like this.
  17. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I’m considering it, I have probably a small fraction of what many have, but still more than I need. My hang up is that every so often I want the novelty of something new.

18. Paul Turner

I don't know that I can do it 2 years in a row. I'm already lining up ideas for 2019 purchases!! But I'm confident that 2018 will succeed for me.

Jim99 likes this.
  19. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

My wife gave me a fresh bottle of Ogallala Bay Rum for our anniversary, so I really have no needs or excuses. Finishing 2017 with no unneeded purchases and heading into 2018 looking the same way.

mrchick, Paul Turner, dbersh and 2 others like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Must be a big bottle

AGHisBBS and stuartganis like this.