Need a little help with a SE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by awake2shave, Mar 27, 2012.

1. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

You should be able to find some blades to get you started at your local drugstore. They won't be the best, but they'll get you started. The SE blades from electron microscopy supplies (the PTFE coated ones) are considered very good.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I like the Gem blades from Personna. I pick 'em up at the local ShopRite. I use them in all my SEs.

4. awake2shave

I live in canada an the only razor blades my local stores cary tend to be wilkinsons de blade and I only found them after scowering most of the city , can any one recomened an online retailer for the blades

5. swarden43

6. richgem

http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/preparation/blades.aspx

The PTFE coated SE blades are the ones you want here. But, note that you have to buy in bulk of 100 blades. Item # 71970. But, I don't know if they ship to Canada and I'm not aware of any Canadian sources. Whatever you do, DO NOT use the very similar blade designed for box cutters and such. They are not sharp enough or smooth enough to shave with. Your face will not thank you.

7. awake2shave

Thx for the advice rich I have read that in the past about se blades not to use utility or industrial blades

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If you want to test, buy some at the The Shave Den Shop and if you find that you really want to use the DE all the time then see if you can buy in bulk.

Good fortune!

9. awake2shave

:happy088: I have waiting for a reason to place a soap order

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. richgem

You're welcome & good luck!

11. awake2shave

Thanks for you help everyone just placed an order for some Gem blades (I think I cleared out the last of the stock) and a few soaps !

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

This sounds exactly like what I did when I first wanted too try the SE world. I placed an order for some SE blades and some custom items from the store and then had too wait for the items too be made and then mailed.:)
    Don't get me wrong I enjoy TSD products ,I just had too wait longer too receive the blades.If this is what you did I could send you a few too get you started, just PM me.

13. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Now that you've got blades on the way, here's some unsolicited advice on how to shave with it. First of all, it's a great razor-basically the 1912 Gem with
    a different brand name on it. The head should be held very flat on your face and slowly/carefully open the angle until you hit the sweet spot-air on the
    side of flatter on your face at first. NO PRESSURE is very important with an SE. They're fantastic shavers, enjoy!

14. awake2shave

Why do I get the feeling this is the start of a beautiful friendship Tuco I just wish I would have thrown a Iridium in your suprise evelope.

15. swarden43

Good stuff.

16. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I believe the italianbarber.com is in Canada . I've purchased from them before and they had excellent service.

17. awake2shave

Just got an email from Joanna informing me there was a stock error and they didn`t have the single edge blades and would no longer be stocking them *sigh* back to the drawing board I guess any ideas

18. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I say, go to the drugstore and buy some GEM blades. They work just fine in my 1912 and other GEM razors.

19. awake2shave

Where I live GEM and all single edge shaving blades are not for sale if it was an option I would have them allready :S Italian barber doesnt seam to be carring them anymore

20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If Amazon and / or one of its suppliers can ship to you look up GEM blades.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F0RC5K/?tag=thshde-20