Need a more aggressive razor recommendation

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by spacehobo, Jun 22, 2017.

1. spacehobo

spacehobo Well-Known Member

It's been a long time since I've been here. I took a break from buying new soaps and creams but I'm still DE shaving.

I bought a Merkur 39C a few months ago and after many experimentations with different blades it's not the right razor for me. I just don't like the end results it gives after 3 or sometimes 4 passes.

I was going to get a Muhle R41 on Fendrihan but apparently they're discontinued now.

I was wondering if anyone's got any good recommends for something more aggresive.

My daily driver at the moment is a Gillette Super Adjustable Short Handle on setting 7 (sometimes 9).

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

A Gem open comb micro matic.

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Will have at Amazon on June 25.

Douglas Carey and spacehobo like this.
  4. jimjo1031

Got one, it's aggressive.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup. But smooth

Douglas Carey and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. jimjo1031

Haven't had a weeper from it yet.

Douglas Carey and wchnu like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Beautiful chromed brass handle, aggressive head, ridiculous value proposition at twice this price. AKA SABI T1, Mariner, Toro Mastiff. Made in Taiwan, better finishing and tighter tolerances than Merkur. I prefer it to my R41.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  8. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

R41 is a razor well worth to try. My recommendation is to continue to look until you are able to find a vendor selling R41. My own opinion is that R41 head is good, but the handle is way too light to balance the head. If you like to hold the razor at the balance point, you end up holding it very close to the head with the stock handle. As Mühle has been selling R41 heads separately, I think buying only the head is the best way to go. But also here it is YMMV and people hold razors in different ways.

Meanwhile, if you are impatient, give Fatip Grande or Piccolo a try. They are all brass and aggressive razors. Fatip Grande/Piccolo is also a YMMV razor. Personally, I get less irritation from R41 than from Fatip, even though the shave is closer with R41. Other find Fatip to be smoother than R41.

9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The stock R41 is still available from Ireland for about $35. But don't do that. Buy the R41 head from Maggard's for $26, and buy the Boss off Amazon for $15, For $41 Bob's your uncle with two great razors and a better handle.

FWIW I did as I recommend, then added the Pearl (Jaws/Symmetry) baseplate for $8 . It works with the Boss top plate. Total cost about $50 for three aggressive and quite wonderful razors (with none of the plating and fitment issues that plague the Fatips).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    RyX, spacehobo, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Razorock Mission. It's not extremely aggressive but it is a good deal more aggressive than Merkur and Edwin Jagger razors !!!

spacehobo and AGHisBBS like this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

There's also the PAA Symmetry, a Pearl OC head on a PAA handle. But I think folks are better off with the Boss/Pearl combo.

Jim99, spacehobo and Douglas Carey like this.
  12. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

Maybe try a Fatip Grande open comb or RazoRock German 37 slant. I have both and use them in rotation. Tough old beard and they are both plenty aggressive yet smooth. Priced right too.

Taipan, Jim99 and Douglas Carey like this.
  13. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

You may give the Merkur Futur or Rockwell 6s a try. On their highest settings, both are comfortable and very efficient.

spacehobo likes this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Gillette Red tip and Fatip Grande

RyX and spacehobo like this.
  15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Enter the Ming Shi 2000s, or Merkur Futur clone:
    [​IMG]

At less then $15 and at setting 1 is more aggressive then any Gillette Adjustable at 9. I shave with mine on 2 and love it

ninjack, Jim99, RyX and 2 others like this.
  16. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

@spacehobo IMHO, with that Short handle, you're where you ought to be. Different blade maybe? Voskhod,GSB, Shark Super Chrome?
    Just sayin'.

spacehobo likes this.
  17. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

I have a tough beard. I have the Rockwell 6s and German 37 slant and Ming Shi 200s/clone.
    There all great and there price $.$$ is great. Plus great shavers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spacehobo and Tdmsu like this.
  18. DRIVER_B

DRIVER_B Member

The R41 is available from several online vendors including Amazon.com. Where are you seeing that it is discontinued?

If it is I will be stocking up on a few extra heads!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Per my above comment you'll save $20-$25 buying from Ireland (including shipping charges). Connaught had similar pricing but no longer stocks it.

DRIVER_B likes this.
  20. DRIVER_B

DRIVER_B Member

Sorry that question was directed to the OP who suggested the R41 is discontinued and not available for sale. I did a simple google search and R41s are available from all the standard web retailers and are still listed on Muhles web site, for sale there as well $56.00

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Puma and Linuxguile like this.