Need a more forgiving razor to heal

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Misphit, Mar 31, 2014.

?

Which one of the three razors below is least likely to cut me up and allow me

1. 68 Gillette Knack

5.6%
  2. 79 Z1 Aluminum Tech

72.2%
  3. 66 Schick Krona

27.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Being new to DE shaving I am still working on technique so I have good case of razor burn therefore I need a more forgiving razor for a few days . :signs002:

PatrickA51 and Weeper Warrior like this.
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I voted for the Tech but keep the pressure off. Even a Tech can cause irritation if you use pressure.

Dridecker likes this.
  3. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I agree with using a tech.

4. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

razor burn is caused by pressure. Just don't use pressure. Also the lighter the razor the better.

Tdmsu and Hanzo like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What about a black beauty? You could adjust to your comfort level.

6. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Feel free to mail me one. :rofl: Unfortunately I don't own one.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. WetShaveObsession

WetShaveObsession Well-Known Member

A day off if possible might be a good idea and a good healing balm.
    As far as the razors doesnt get much milder than a tech.

8. Batman9402

Batman9402 Active Member

Easiest razors i used was tech and flare tip, never had any issues with them so vote goes to tech

9. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Edwin Jägger, Merkur 180, Gillette Super Speed or a RazoRock Mission are all nice mild razors. I think though more importantly is to find a blade that agrees with you. One of the hardest things I struggled with when I first started DE shaving was pressure. I grew up shaving with disposable razors that are very forgiving. I had the worst razor burn in my life several times when first starting out. DE shaving is totally opposite of slathering on some goo from a can and attacking your face with a cartridge razor. I found the finesse of DE shaving a very difficult aspect to achieve.
    Go slow and enjoy the learning curve/process.

bzero007 and maltedmilk like this.
  10. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Thanks guys.. off to see what happens.

11. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Those commenting on pressure are spot on. I started out shaving with a DE. Drifted away for years, but I've been back to one now for a couple of weeks. That was the first thing I was reminded of when I picked it up again. As soon as the blade touched my face and I made my first stroke, I remembered to back off the pressure. I was so used to using pressure to get a decent shave with a (supposedly) sharp cart razor. Thankfully, all those formative years with a DE came back quick, and now, it's like I never left.
    One of the great things about DE shaving is the incredible amount of control you personally have when shaving. No matter how aggressive the razor is, it all comes down to your two hands and how you use them to guide the razor over your face. I'm beginning to find the same to be true with the SR, but that'll take a couple more months to get down. I think it'll be well worth it, though.
    Watch that pressure. Your face will thank you.

Tdmsu and PanChango like this.
  12. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

What are you using now?

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Regardless of the razor -- NO PRESSURE.

14. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Merkur 33 "Classic" with Astra SP blades.

The tech did remarkably well this morning. Not a smooth as I had hoped but good enough to look professional at work.

15. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

The Merkur 33C was my first DE. I haven't used it for two months. I wanted an aggressive razor and got the Jaws. The merkur gives me the and shaves as my Techs, nice and mild.

Tdmsu likes this.
  16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Any of those razors including the 33c will be fine. No pressure is important as is a good lather.

Do you have any other blades? I find Astra blades to be rough regardless of razor.

Bristle Me likes this.
  17. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I'm with PanChango on this one. What blades are you using? Have you tried a sampler pack?

Bristle Me likes this.
  18. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

One thing you might try is a a good menthol cream/soap with either a cold water shave, or finishing cold. Cold shaves are easy, just use cold water instead of warm. Finishing cold is just wiping your face with a cold wet towel. Either cold from the tap, or you can wet the towel and toss it in the freezer while you shave.

What I do when my face is feeling iffy and I have to shave, or I just want to be shocked, is to shave with Proraso Green (or CO Bigelow, same thing). On my 2nd lather I'll usually feel the menthol kick in. When I'm done I just wipe with a cold wet towel which makes that menthol POP. It kicks it up like 10 notches. Razor burn? Forget about it.

19. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I am using an Astra SP the blade I preferred next to the feather out of the sampler.

20. bzero007

bzero007 Active Member

Persona Blue blades are my go to blade but also my healing blade from bad combinations. Besides cutting extremely well they are also very smooth.