Need advice on eliminating razor burn with gillette old type

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by L.C. Wilson, May 2, 2014.

1. L.C. Wilson

L.C. Wilson New Member

I recently started wet shaving with a merkur futur using Wilkinson sword blades, prorasso green pre shave, soap, and aftershave. I have been thrilled with the results so far with this combination and I'm currently using a 5 setting with no problems. I spotted a vintage Gillette old type in a local antique shop and decided to give it a shot. Now I'm getting crazy razor burn and bumps on my neck. I don't want to give up on the old girl just yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

gorgo2 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well each blade reacts differently with different razors so I would recommend a blade sampler to allow you an opportunity to match the blade that would work well for you with this razor.

Here is an article on razors and blades that might be of interest.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...ild-sharp-or-smooth-a-general-overview.37813/

In addition if you are shaving ATG (Against the Grain) in the affected area you might switch to XTG (Across the Grain) or WTG (With the Grain).

The Gillette OC is one of my favorite razors so good fortune in your search.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. L.C. Wilson

L.C. Wilson New Member

Thanks for the advise. I've got some dorco blades and some feathers on the way. So I'll give them a try and post my results. Meanwhile its back to the futur until I heal up a bit.

RaZorBurn123 and GDCarrington like this.
  4. L.C. Wilson

L.C. Wilson New Member

Just wanted to follow up on my last post. I tried the Dorco blades and refined my technique a bit by using shorter strokes and turning that damned bathroom fan off so I could hear what the old girl was telling me. Viola! That baby gave me one of the closest, most comfortable shaves I have ever had! Just a wonderful experience all around. Thanks GDCarrington for the great advice.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

6. Majoofi

Majoofi New Member

I just yesterday did my first shave with a 1930 brass Gillette open comb. Super aggressive and super close. almost cut myself twice. had some irritation most of the day. It seems that in addition to getting the angle right and being super careful, that it's a question of not trying to shave too closely, at least at first.

Tdmsu likes this.
  7. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

It took me a while to get consistent good shaves with my Old Type. The angle is crucial, and I've found that Personna Lab Blues work wonders in my 90 year old chopper.

BigMark likes this.
  8. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I have issues my self with the Old Type, so I'll give the Personna Lab Blues a try next time.

Tdmsu likes this.
  9. Dr.Wybert

Dr.Wybert Member

I can also recommend to look for the white tub of prorasso shaving soap , it's made for sensitive skin, and i like to use it when i start an experiment, like new blades and or razors.
    It also seems to control bleeding a little.

10. Ryan Morrison

Ryan Morrison New Member

11. fat face

fat face New Member

Wilkinson sword blades give me horrible razor burn. Dorco 301s helped me out alot

12. Ramaniac

Ramaniac Member

I have an 1921 Silver Aristocrat Old type. I could not use Gillette 7 o'clocks, so a friend told me to use Derby's. Other folks said the Old Type needs to be shimmed with a blade that has the edges cut off. I am using a Silver blue in the Gold Aristocrat, and it won't stop. Seven great shaves. Usually pushing 5 on anything else.

13. Ramaniac

Ramaniac Member

Bad news! Sorry to report the shim did not tame down my old type. Put in a Derby, and did my throat, and although I did not get razor burn, it lit my throat up red. I have a pointy chin, no way possible, it is still just too aggressive.

14. digitaldome

digitaldome Well-Known Member

Tdmsu is spot on... With the Old Type razors, a shallower blade angle must be attained or you're going to be scrapping skin off your face.
    Loose the Darco...With my 4 old type razors, Gillette Silver Blues, Polsilvers, Astra's, and Voshkods work well... YMMV

Tdmsu likes this.
  15. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Shimming a razor will normally make it more, rather than less, aggressive.

BigMark and Ramaniac like this.
  16. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

My thoughts would be that the new razor is either more aggressive, or angled a bit different. if you're using the same routine and blades in another razor and it goes fine, there's not much else that could be different. the old Gillette might be heavier and applying more pressure than you realize.

17. Ramaniac

Ramaniac Member

Thanks for the information. I will take the shim out and give it another try. I REALLY want this razor to work!!! It is breaking my heart that I can't get it right. I have the Gillette New Type, and love it.

18. Ramaniac

Ramaniac Member

Just got done shaving with my Old Type without the shim, with a new derby and Tabac. I got a very smooth shave, no blood, no weepers, but the angle of the handle has to be nearly touching your face. I did two passes, that was all I dared. Definitely will not be a daily driver, it is just too aggressive. It feels like you are using a straight razor-or as close as you can get to the feel and still be holding a DE. Oh well, at least I proved to myself, that I can use it. I am not a razor collector, but I do have 11 and have given away 3. I will not pass them up at flea's and garage sales.

Lexicon Devil and Tdmsu like this.