Need Advise 1st Restore

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Newcreature, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Newcreature

Newcreature Member

I found an old Eveready N40 brush and I am measuring it at 21.13 mm what knot size do you recommend 20 or 22 ?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

20mm will work perfect. Good luck and make sure to post pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Newcreature

Newcreature Member

Thank You Tom I appreciate your response. I will order today and pic soon I hope..

Douglas Carey and twhite like this.
  4. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

20 mm but if you want bigger then just take a dremel to it. I usually up the size of the brushes i restore to 22 or 24 mm.

Douglas Carey, Newcreature and twhite like this.
  5. Newcreature

Newcreature Member

Thank You,
    I was wanting to make this so that it has plenty of backbone with a fairly soft tip. would you suggest silver badger or synthetic ?

Douglas Carey and theFAT98 like this.
  6. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Neither of those are known for great backbone. BUT if you want more backbone you need to set the knot deeper in the handle so the knot doesn't splay as much.

If it were me id dremel the handle out as much as you can. Deeper and wider to allow the knot to go deeper in handle.

I would guess that synthetic set deeper would have more backbone and still have soft tips. The maggard razors synthetics are very soft.

Newcreature, RyX and Stu929 like this.
  7. spot705

spot705 Active Member

20mm will fit without extra work and will "bloom" out more due to the extra wiggle room.
    22mm will fit tight and the handle might need to be opened up a bit. The hairs will stand up straighter.
    It comes down to personal preference.
    Silver badger is super soft and, for me anyway, is a little too soft.
    Synthetic will be stiffer but still soft and should offer more backbone.

Newcreature and Stu929 like this.