Need grind advice

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Jan 23, 2016.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The Wife's plastic Mr. Coffee has died (yay) so now I can break out my trusty Sunbeam Coffeemaster...[​IMG] (yay!)

I just ued a gift card to buy a basic burr mill and am looking for grind recommendations, please and thanks.

wristwatchb and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Great looking coffee maker, but I can't answer your question. My guess would be a medium grind tho.

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That's what i was thinking but the filter is a flat mesh screen...thought coarse might be more suitable...but with 18 settings i want to avoid experimenting and possibly wasting beans.

wristwatchb likes this.
  4. richgem

Probably coarse then for sure. Maybe call your local coffee shop and see if they know anything?

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good idea.

6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Wow beautiful coffee maker. Never seen one of those. Good luck I hope u find the answer

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That one's a bit cleaner than mine. They're great until the main seal goes out.

8. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I've got a '30s Silex 8-cup stove top vac pot, using a Lox-in glass rod. I've read that you use a fine grind, but it stalled when I did. So, I coarsened (is that even a word?) it up a bit to a medium grind, and it worked. Really a sight to see when the coffee gets sucked back down to the lower pot. With a mesh filter, I'd try a grind what you'd use in a percolator.

[​IMG]

wristwatchb and gorgo2 like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Medium grind would be a good starting point. As a point of reference, I use a "modern " farberware percolator and a medium grind works well.

I bet that coffee will taste great.

gorgo2 likes this.
  10. richgem

Suddenly, I want one of these. Just too cool.

How does the coffee come out? (light / dark/ watery?)

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Brews a very clean cup. The coffee will depend on whatever bean is used. Sweet Maria's (a good source for all that is coffee) says African & Central American beans do best. I've read elsewhere light roasts do best.

When I first started collecting this stuff, I did much research, and found so much conflicting information that I just winged it & brewed trial by error. Some sites said fine grind, others said medium. Some said brew for 20 seconds once it filled the top bowl, others said a minute and a half. Sweet Maria's lists a 45 second infusion time. I do 30 seconds, stirring with a wooden chopstick.

wristwatchb, richgem and gorgo2 like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I went with 2 notches below Medium and it works great. Flavor of the same beans is noticeably improved over the whirlygig grinder and plastic drip. I already regret the day when the big seal starts to go. Still quite pliable but has some fine cracks at the edges. Vacuum will be shot without it. Ah well, these things are to be enjoyed while they last.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    wristwatchb and richgem like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I have the same unit at work for hot water, since I misplaced the guts of it.

Indeed it did!

Jim99 likes this.
  14. richgem

Thanks!