Need Help... Return to Shaving Not Going Well Spent almost $500

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NETWizz, Sep 19, 2016.

1. NETWizz

NETWizz Active Member

Thinking about buying a better razor. What do you think of the Mekur 34c or similar?

Just want something that is of even higher quality. Also might like a sharper blade and some real soap and a brush.

2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Since you asked...the Merkur is a very nice razor, but at this point, you'd be better served by using your VDH razor and working on technique. You've already spent $500. We're trying to help you get good shaves and not spend any more money.

Several guys have encouraged you to do a 30-day focus, as many of us have started out just like you. Before I started this wet shaving thing, I used Norelco electrics for 30 years. My shaves were fast and crummy, but bloodless. I couldn't shave with a blade to save my life...or so I thought. I decided to give wet shaving a try when I looked at my face in a 10X mirror right after an electric shave. I couldn't believe all the stubble and irritation I saw. I knew there had to be a better way.

It took me 3 to 6 months before I felt somewhat proficient with wet shaving. Expecting instant progress can be frustrating. Take your time, and enjoy the process of learning how to get consistently good shaves. I've been wet shaving for 4 years now. Although I have good technique, I still consider myself a learner. Most of the folks giving you advice could get a great shave with pretty much any setup because they've worked to develop solid technique.

You'll have plenty of time down the road to buy more stuff if wet shaving becomes your thing. Save your money, use what ya got now, and work on technique. This is just my humble opinion. Do what you need to do. It's your shave. :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    Norcalnewb and NETWizz like this.
  3. Crowne & Crane

Crowne & Crane Well-Known Member

The Merkur 34c is an excellent razor from the mild (but close shaving) side of the safety razor spectrum. I think it is probably one of the best safety razors for a beginner on the market -- although certainly not everyone will agree. I don't want you to think that I'm telling you how to spend your money and I do not know if you have a shaving budget. I'm going to approach this as if -- you do have a budget -- or you have a wife who thinks you should have a budget.

If you have to make a choice between getting a Merkur 34C and getting "real" shaving soap and a brush, then I'd suggest the soap and brush. You don't have to spend huge amounts of money to get an excellent brush and soap. There are a number of retailers that have Plisson-style synthetic knots in various sizes that are very economical and IMO work exceedingly well. Then, add a good quality, easy lathering, soap or cream with good cushion and excellent slickness. You can get both combined for less than $50 and they will last a very long time. Those two items will take you a long way toward a great shave.

I don't know what razor blades you are using, but if they are the VDH blades, I would highly recommend getting a variety of blades to sample from someplace like try-a-blade, such as Astra, Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless, Gillette Silver Blue, Personna Blue and/or Reds, etc. and see which ones your razor and your face agree work best for you.

Once you've learned how to make proper lather, have found blades that work for your combination of face and razor, improved your technique a bit, then the Merkur 34C (HD) is a razor that, I think, fits well into most people's rotation.

4. NETWizz

NETWizz Active Member

Thanks. I actually find this an interesting hobby that is less expensive and more practical than others. For example, I can always shave. Even in the weather is too bad to go outside.

That said, I am already amazed at how inexpensive the blades are for my VDH. It came with the VDH Ice Tempered blades, but I have not tried them because everyone universally said to try something else. I bought Gillette Platinum in the blue box and have been using those. Ironically two boxes of 5 of those + 5 for the VDH means 15 blades. I also bought 3 x 5 packs of Astra Greens. Hence, I have 29 unused blades, yet I haven't spent virtually anything on blades. What I spent would have bought me less than a 4 pack of my Gillette Fusion cartridges. Heck buying 30 Fusion Cartridges would cost a chunk of change in contrast!

I want to try a lot of blades. Think I will buy the Gillette Silver Blue and 7 O'Clock Super Stainless... then the Blue Lab Personna. From there I want to buy Feather and Voskhod.

Bama Samurai and wristwatchb like this.
  5. Crowne & Crane

Crowne & Crane Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan. If you're not familiar with the phrase YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) you will find that it is very, very common in the shaving community. It simply a fact that every one of us has a different face, different skin, different hair, different hair growth patterns, different preferences, and a different set of tools to get the job done. Therefore, you will, like all of us do, have to find out what works best for you by experimentation. We can help show you the options, but the choices are all yours.

wristwatchb likes this.
  6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Go to tryablade.com and get a blade sampler. Samples are your friends. Many of us blew a lot of money on things before we found samples of those same items...learn from our mistakes.

Don't spend a lot of money before you really know what you like. Learn to use what you have and go from there.

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

:signs011:

I would definitely echo what @wristwatchb is saying. I think you find the VDH is more than enough razor. I definitely know about wanting different razors, and I have more than I would care to admit to, but I can't tell you how much doing a 30 Day Rule (not focus) helped me really learn to shave. Changing up you gear, or even soap/cream, early in the process introduces too many variables into the shaving routine, and you never know which changes affected your shave. Was it the razor, the cream, etc? If you technique is sound, you know you can make anything work. The 30 Day Rule builds a great foundation for solid technique.

The other advantage of saving money now is it allows for more later when you really know what you want, and I am sure you will finds lots you want later.

Drygulch, Spyder and wristwatchb like this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I agree with the folks who say that a blade sampler is the next logical step for you. I will add to that by suggesting you keep some notes about each brand of blade- smoothness, closeness, irritation or lack thereof, how many shaves & so on.

9. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

The silver blues are nice. I also like the Astra Blues-Stainless instead of platinum. Platinum blades irritate my face.

10. countryheathen

countryheathen Well-Known Member

This is great advice for all newbies. Thanks guys.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

wristwatchb, Drygulch and Sara-s like this.
  11. NETWizz

NETWizz Active Member

I tried a new shaving powder that I mixed in water. That stuff burned and did NOT provide Lubrication. Stuff is called Magic. Absolutely aweful!

The other thing I tried was Shave Secret + Gillette Fusion Shave Gel (not sure the shave secret helps).

Cremo + The Gillette Fusion Shave Gel = pretty good.

All three of them together Shave Secret + Cremo + Gillette Fusion Shave Gel make a dry gummy mess that is sticky NOT slippery.

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

All you need is Gillette gel, Gillette blades and a VDH razor.

This is like golf. You can buy all the different clubs and balls, gloves, tees and tools. But, you still won't know how to play golf unless you learn to play golf.

The products don't matter if the fundamentals are absent.

13. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

Just a note. I have shaved off and on with straight razors for 20 years as well as others. I am trying out DE razor shaving now, and finding that I seem to have at least as much cutting issues than a straight edge that is rushed. Rushing is a problem. All razors are a bit different.

As for Magic Shave powder, somebody at the store or wherever you bought that from, should have explained what that stuff is. It's not for regular shaving. When in the service a lot of the guys that were African-American used the magic shave powder, along with the plastic bladed straight razorette. It's basically like NAIR that dissolves the hair chemically. Because we had to shave daily in training many of the guys with curly hair had issues with massive ingrown facial hair that could lead to actual scarring.

Magic shave burns as it's designed as a strong alkali, and is pushed off the face after sitting a few minutes removing much of the hair but it's definitely not for use with metal blades or any sensitive skin. After training most guys would move to something else as they had a bit more time to spend in the latrine, shaving. You don't have that luxury in basic and other training environments nor can you take sick call for messing up your face.

As for single blade cartridges that were fairly decent disposables for those around 50+ years were BIC metal. Single blade with a hard wire underneath which limited bad cutting. Of course they became a bit popular so they were phased out by newer fancier Atra Plus then Sensor.... however these cheap disposables had a following and many of the new inexpensive razors available only in places like India incorporate similar design.

So steer away from Magic Shave powder and work on the technique then start trying different blades..., soaps...etc.

+1000 on buying a small block of Alum and I love witch hazel after shaves. Currently using the Cucumber smelling one, while learning how easy it is to forget a good technique because you are very used to a different style of razor.

I've been kind of shocked how sharp feather blades are when I'm used to hollow grind Swedish Steel, but again very different techniques involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Like those above, I say the VDH is the way to go. Bed Bath & Beyond(at least here in Central NJ) has Classic Wilkinson Sword DE blades. Bath and Body Works has C O Bigelow Shave Cream(aka Proraso green)and you should be good to go. That's pretty much how I started. Good luck and from a fellow FNG, Welcome!!

15. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

All great advice. This why we hang out here. My advice...(2 cents worth) is go right back to basics. Pick a mild, easily accessible razor like a Gillette Heavy Handle Tech, or a Merkur 23c. Start with an Astra SP or Gillette Silver Blue blade. Both are outstanding. Then pick up either a boar or badger brush and some Stirling Barbershop or Barrister & Mann soap. Trust me, you will thank me. Then just shower and splash on a bit warm water, lather up and then with a light touch do a single pass shave and over time work up to WTG, XTG and if you want try ATG. Not necessary in my view but some guys like it. After you finish your shave rinse off, apply some Witch Hazel and some kind of balm. Bob's your uncle...shave done with minimal irritation. Best of luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

16. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

OP must have thrown in the towel, he hasn't been around since October.

champagneinhand likes this.
  18. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

He either figured it out or maybe decided to grow a beard!;)

Spyder likes this.
  19. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

I couldn't believe this thread popped up on my tapatalk. Ghost thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk