Need help understanding how to choose a strop

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by markjnewcomb, Apr 7, 2017.

1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Mine work great. I really like my SRD paddle strop.

COMPNOR and PickledNorthern like this.
  2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

If/when I get at least ONE of my razors shave ready, I'm planning on simply hooking the strop over a nail on the back of my workbench, then stretching it out flat across the wood. I won't have to worry about exact pressure, just pressure enough to keep it from moving around. When done, hang it back up.

3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

There is a video on stropping in this forum somewhere that shows just laying the strop flat on a counter. You don't have to secure one end, because its OK if it moves just a bit.

wristwatchb and Keithmax like this.
  4. Jimhall504

Jimhall504 New Member

Hello Gents. I am coming into this discussion a few months late and am strop shopping. I think after reading here, I am leaning towards a paddle. I guess I am most confused on the prep side of the strop. Cloths and sprays and such. Is the main purpose of the prep side to clean the blade first?

Keithmax likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yes...in most cases—and there is some debate on the necessity of a second component (a linen/canvas/ webbing), but most feel a number of laps on the second component help 'prep' the edge (and potentially clean off any residual gunk leftover from honing; deburr the edge) for the leather. This procedure also helps maintain the integrity of the leather component.

Diamond sprays and CrOx pastes applied to strops are more about edge refinement than daily maintenance. Stropping on leather is a regular part of straight razor use.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  6. Jimhall504

Jimhall504 New Member

I suspect more cowboys had beards than the movies insinuate. Who knew it took all this to get whiskers off a face.

7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Actually, if you only shave a couple of time a month or less; a straight is the easiest method to get rid of the growth:)

Keithmax likes this.
  8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Yup. And they probably did shave at least once or twice a month. In the desert and dry areas (west texas/New mexico) , a beard is NOT a fun thing, no matter what they think in the middle east.

Keithmax likes this.
  9. Jimhall504

Jimhall504 New Member

So in a nutshell for us rookies, we want cloth on one side and good leather on the other? And does the leather have any oil on it? Also, I keep seeing where a 3" is best to learn on.

Keithmax likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Most reputable strop makers will include two components: some type of leather and a second one cloth/linen/webbing. I would recommend against applying oil to the strop (some recommend Neats Foot oil and similar leather-treating products, but often these steps are unnecessary and often cause more damage than good to the leather) as the strops usually require so very little in the way of added enhancements. New strops can be a bit stiff, but soften with use. Some shavers routinely rub down the leather with the palm of their hands each time in order to aid in the softening of any stiffness present in the strop

Keithmax likes this.
  11. Jimhall504

Jimhall504 New Member

I can see already where it would be easy with this to go over board buying all sorts of shave stuff. I am looking forward to learning and the experience

Drygulch, markjnewcomb and Keithmax like this.