Need help with a comparison to a Merkur 34C

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Stu929, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to help someone out that has a 34C and is looking for a vintage gillette. I have a few for him to try but given id be shipping to Canada I'd like to get it right on the first try.

I have a new sc which I plan to send but since I've never had a Merkur I don't have a frame of reference. Is a red tip a good option or a 40s SS? I sold my redtip so I can't supply that but I do have a 40s SS.

He's happy with the 34C just looking for a change of pace.

I know I know YMMV but I'm trying to get into the ballpark.

Thanks
    Steve

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Jim99 and Linuxguile like this.
  2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi, the Merkur 34c, aka Merkur 34HD, is a mild but efficient shaver. The one I have is anyway. So I feel it is comparable to a 1950's regular Flare Tip Super Speed. It seems to me the 1950's Super Speeds are a bit more mild than their predecessors. As stated, YMMV of course.

Jim99 likes this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The New will definitely be more aggressive then the 34C. The 34C is quite mild with minimal blade feel. As Alan said a regular Flair Tip would be good or even a Tech. An Aristocrat, Red Tip, 40's SS all would we be a minor step up in aggression from the 34C.

Jim99 likes this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Steve, I'll start by saying I do not have a 34C, but do know a lot of people that do (allergic to Zamak ;)). That said, a 1940's SS would be touch less mild than a Flare, but would be a change of pace he could try.

:signs011:

Excellent idea on the tech (preferably fat handle), great mild shave (pre-war even better).

My scale of aggression in Gillettes mentioned:

Mildest
    Zamak Techs (1960's and newer) (too mild ... yes, there is a difference)
    American Aristocrats (remember only my opinion) :scared001:
    Regular Flares and post war Techs
    Pre-war Techs (American and Canadian)
    English Tech
    English Rocket Flare (my favorite!)
    Red Tip (just touch too much)

Remember only my opinion. :D

Jim99 likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Most super speeds ('66-later) will be more mild than the Merkur. The super speed will certainly be lighter and probably feel better balanced.

Super speeds get more aggressive the earlier you go, so a 1940's-1950's SS might be the best choice. Comparable years of English SS or Rocket razors will be a tad bit more aggressive than their American counterparts.

Jim99 and Linuxguile like this.
  6. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to send him a 40s SS and a New, could end up as a flare and a 40s but you guys at least gave me a direction. I was under the impression the 34c was more aggressive than a 40 ss so I wasn't sure where to go.

Thanks again!

Jim99 and Enrico like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Sounds like a plan.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I would agree that the New is definitely more aggressive than the SS and tech, having tried all three. Unfortunately I can't comment on the Merkur as I don't have one.

The reason I comment is the last week of using my New, it is building it's status as my favourite I've used so far. your friend may like it anyway, who knows :confused:

Linuxguile likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I don't think you can go wrong with any era super speed or tech. They are all great shavers.

Linuxguile and Jim99 like this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

+1. My preference is the 40's SS, but any super speed is a great razor.

11. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Trust me I love my super speed I just didn't have the frame of reference for the Merkur so I wasn't sure what would fit into his den. I I know he's not looking for a tech and we specifically discuss the new it's just a matter of if we go with a new and a 40 or a 40s and 50s super speed

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

One of my first razors I purchased after the Merkur 34c was a 40's super speed. At the time I was amazed how good such an old razor shaved and I quickly liked it better than the Merkur. I still use my Merkur from time to time, but I like my super speed better. Forgiving, but close shaves. What's not to like?

13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Keep in mind that I do like my Merkur 34c.