Need some knot advice

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by BaylorGator, Mar 18, 2017.

1. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

OK I am relatively new to wet shaving, and have a cheap badger, a nice horse hair, and have a Nice synthetic on the way. I've started with creams, and so far like the cheap badger much better than the nice horse hair in terms of creating a lather. My dad parentheses a woodworking junkie parentheses is making me some awesome shaving brush handles. I want to buy some nice knots to go in the handles, but it's a bit early to know my "go to brush". Since these handles will be keepsakes for my entire life, does anyone have any advice on what not to look at or but it's a bit early to know my "go to brush". Since these handles will be keepsakes for my entire life, does anyone have any advice on what not to look at or consider?

RyX likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

There are many companies making replacement knots. You didn't list boar amongst your experience. They also have a big following and tend to be less expensive. There's a particular synthetic I purchased and enjoy - the Tuxedo.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  3. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend checking out The Golden Nib (https://www.thegoldennib.com). They have fantastic brushes...very full and excellent prices. Their finest Badger is just an amazing knot.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

5. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Thanks for the initial advice on knots, guys. Since this post I've experienced a bunch of them and have, like everyone, my favorites now. I'm unfollowing my own thread, so adios to this topic!

6. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

A BIG +1.

7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

For myself I know exactly what I want in a brush/knot but it takes awhile to figure it out and preferences can change a little over time. TGN finest knots would be a good place to start experimenting (IMO).
    Edit - Brushes can be very personal items so what I think is a great brush I wouldn't be surprised that the next person would prefer something a little different. Different hair type, different loft, different density etc.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    gssixgun likes this.
  8. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Larry at Whipped Dog sells excellent knots.

GatorJoe and Sara-s like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I am also a big fan of WhippedDog knots. I love his silvertip badger knots.

GatorJoe likes this.