Need some opinions tonight

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by txskimo, Jul 21, 2015.

1. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I'm going to rub a pork butt in put in the fridge over night but I'll be at work and my smoker needs work. With that being said I have the option of either throwing it in the oven or using a crock pot. I think it'd turn out good in the oven but I don't have any experience doing one in a crock pot. Would the results be similar? Has anyone used these methods and have one they prefer?

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Low oven. Like 225-250. It will come out great after 6-8 hours.

Chuck F, txskimo and GDCarrington like this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

By putting the meat about the drippings you can use the crock pot as well. It is up to you as to how you want to do it, but this method is really no different than using the oven.

http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-boston-butt-shoulder-for-pulled-pork-375370

"Place 1 1/2 inch balls of aluminum foil in a 4 or 5 quart crock pot to raise the roast above liquids that will collect in the pot."​

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    macaronus, Bama Samurai and txskimo like this.
  4. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Oven. I'm not a fan of roasting in a crock pot. I like the fat rendered.

txskimo likes this.
  5. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Doing it low and slow in the oven would be no different than doing it on the smoker except for the smoke flavor. Imo the crockpot is too moist and tends to make the meat mushy.

Dzia Dzia and txskimo like this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That is why the recipe above suspends the meat off the bottom using balls of aluminum foil to keep it from wallowing in the renderings.

macaronus and txskimo like this.
  7. txskimo

Yeah that's what I was worried about. I figured in the oven at 225-250 the times would be identical to a smoker as well as the results minus the smoke like you said. I decided to try and eat healthy or at least more healthy several days after picking up two pork butts on sale for 99 cents a pound lol.

And this is what's making the decision hard haha. My wife said she wanted to put it in the crock pot and she'd be the one watching over it while I work.....decisions decisions

macaronus likes this.
  8. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Sorry, I stopped at "Im going to rub a pork butt".

9. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

It may not sit in the fat but it's still a moist heat and I have never been happy with the texture of meat cooked in the crockpot.

txskimo likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

When you asked I knew the direction this was headed.

That is the main issue is that the crock pot is a low to no watch item that is really better for making stews, chili, and similar items than it is for roasting meats.

A lot of people use a Nesco broiler rather than a standard crock pot but that is one more expense and one more gadget to maintain.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    cmorris357 likes this.
  11. txskimo

Well I rubbed that big ole juicy butt and it's going to sit in the fridge over night. I think it will go in the oven since I'll be less worried about it and it'll probably take a good 10 hours to break down. I'm getting hungry just thinking about tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Great start!

txskimo likes this.
  13. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

If it was me, I'd put some foil over that and put it in the oven at 200-210 until I couldn't stand it anymore. It'll come out perfectly. Like butta.

14. txskimo

I've never cooked at that low of a temp but am curious if it could really benefit from a 25 degree difference. Maybe there was a reason I bought two....and the sale doesn't end until August 3rd. I may just have to do some experiments to perfect one for football season.

15. Bama Samurai

True BBQ never goes over 225 in the smoke box if at all possible. The oven technique emulates this minus the smoke.

txskimo likes this.
  16. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

We have a winner!
    :eatdrink047:

17. Bama Samurai

@CyanideMetal

Spiced pork sashimi is not the best idea...not enough suds in the world to make that work out. ;)

18. txskimo

I was referring to dropping the temp down to 200 and wondering how low you could drop it before you wouldn't notice a difference. I've read people can't tell a difference smoking a pork butt from 225-275 but I haven't done enough or even up to that high of a temperature to be able to tell.

19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I dislike the idea of leaving my oven on while no-one is home.
    I'd figure out how to use the crock pot.

txskimo likes this.
  20. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

That.

And make sure to use an oven thermometer for an accurate box.