Need suggestions on what straight to add my den this year.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Keithmax, Mar 10, 2018.

?

Which should be next acquisition?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2018.
  1. Another big smiling M. Martinez

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. The new model '14' from Koraat, bellied full hollow single shoulder

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. The new model '14' from Koraat, bellied full hollow double shoulder

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  4. Custom Koraat 6/8 bellied full hollow double shoulder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Custom Koraat 6/8 bellied full hollow single shoulder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Custom Koraat 7/8 bellied full hollow single shoulder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Custom Koraat 7/8 bellied full hollow double shoulder

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have made my decision, I will go with the double shoulder bellied hollow model 14 Koraat.... and then I will decide between a Max Sprecher or Joe Chandler or M. Martinez to add to the stable. Sunday I will sort through the line up and decide who will go to new homes.

For those of you have not dealt with Ulrik at Koraat, it is a treat to work with this man to select a razor. He came back with an email right away to me, remembered I am a repeat customer and with suggestions how to address my concern about blade flex. So I am excited about my new Koraat so I will update this thread when it arrives. Ulrik said the new model is popular so it will be a little wait for it to arrive.

Thank you everyone for your input.

2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Keith, it sounds like a plan and a good choice. I can’t wait to read your review on the Koraat.

Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  3. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Congrats Keith - great choice!
    :eatdrink047:

Keithmax and Jim99 like this.
  4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Sounds good! Do you need my address for the castoffs?

Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  5. Keithmax

I’m sure I have your address around here somewhere.

mrchick likes this.
  6. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

I am sure I will get a M Martinez at somepoint . Ulrik was a pleasure to deal with, I am anxiously awaiting for my razor. Max is also very nice to deal with, I am ordering another one from Max later this year. I am enjoying comparing these master forgers work.

Keithmax likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Here is a question: How many of these high dollar Bladesmiths actually forge their own blades?? Do they instead, purchase blade blanks made of high quality steel, and then just form their own blade designs, by using various grinding wheels, and machines????

Keithmax likes this.
  8. Keithmax

It is fun to compare the different artisans. While I enjoy the vintage blades I have a strong preference for the artisans that are making blades now.

It is some of both, some use blanks and some forge while some do both. Mastro Livi has two lines, the Grifetto and then his custom razors, The Grifretto line is from blanks while the customs are forged by ML. I think most of them do their own hardening. In general, I think you will see the difference in prices as makers who forge their own steel charge more.

I am not to focused on if they forge their steel or not, the Grifretto razors I own are excellent.

TestDepth likes this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Thank you. That tells me you research each maker.

Keithmax likes this.
  10. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

I am sure Max and Charlie Lewis go the distance with their razors. I think Ulrik does both. Joe Chandler I believe falls into the first category. I am with Keith , only because the shaves are so much better.